Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Difference between RAW sharpening and UM??

So I've found myself adjusting the "Sharpness" slider on Adobe Camera Raw before importing into photoshop, and then applying some Unsharp Mask. How different are these two? If I don't use the "Sharpness" slider, will I be able to get the same effect after the fact with UM? Are there any guidelines to using the Sharpness slider in Camera Raw? Mine seems to default to something like 20 or 30 but I usually slam it over to 60-80...

Sorry for the potentiall newbie question but I am a lil confused on all this!

Thanks for your help!
    EOS 450D (XSi) | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II | 50mm f/1.8 II | 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Speedlight 430EX II

Some of my pics...

As far as I can tell, the Sharpness slider in ACR is the same as Unsharp Mask in Photoshop. Since I've always been told to do the sharpening last, I leave it at the default low setting in ACR and use Smart Sharpening in Photoshop.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Considering i sometimes like to apply sharpness locally, and leave some areas unsharpened, like the face, i usually like to do it in photoshop as the last
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Cool. Thanks for the help guys!

What about noise reduction though? Usually (on higher ISOs), when I adjust the sharpness up in ACR, I really start seeing the noise and can minimize it with the "Noise Reduction, Luminescence" slider. Should I try and adjust that first or is there a way to do that in PS too?
    EOS 450D (XSi) | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II | 50mm f/1.8 II | 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Speedlight 430EX II

Some of my pics...