Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    anyway, here's what David Kilpatrick has to say about Sony's noise at higher ISO:

Quote Originally Posted by David Kilpatrick
    I've compared Nikon and Sony models in low light with high ISO several times - most of the time, the Sony camera will give one full step less exposure than the Nikon. Not only that, but the Nikon uses a tone curve which crushes the deep shadows to black and compressed the rest of the range closer to linear - removing loads of apparent noise in the process (black level clipping). The combination of clipping the black and increasing exposure transforms a high ISO shot.

In ACR, you can try the effect - take a normal (dark) ISO 3200 shot on an A700 or A900, and set the black level slider to 0 and the tone curve to Medium Contrast. The shadows, where noise is most visible, will look very bad. Now increase the exposure by +1 but clip the black level to 10 (the default is 5) and set the tone curve to Linear.

What I found was that if I used the default Nikon D3X tone curve with the Sony A900 in Iridient RawDeveloper (one of the few programs which allows such a switch of 'hidden' processing parameters), then increased the Sony exposure to match the Nikon, the A900 high ISO really was much the same the Nikon high ISO - far better than any default result. So, it is not an inevitable fault of the camera, more a badly chosen combination of in-camera and external processing parameters which makes Sony high ISO worse than it needs to be.

David
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Read my lips ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    dont give me this asinine noble crap about caring about "beginners". what gives you the right to determine what a beginner and/ or consumer can and cant use ? give people the options. like i have said countless tims if YOU dont want to use it then DON'T use it but dont seek to decide for millions of other people what they should or should not be using.

why didnt sony implement it ? i dont know, nor do i care....perhaps its cos they cant put it into their camera ? or perhaps they are just downight stupid. its completely irrelevant to the discussion why they didnt put it in.

to say you can just use your regular video camera to accomplish the same things as video can do on dslr just shows how nieve you are. they are 2 compeltely different applications and produce 2 very different results. in some cases, (probably 75%), a video camera is better, in other situations a video camera cant hang with dslr. period.

dslr is no different to any other consumer segment where technology adds more into their products to expand their flexibility. its just some people are so prescious about this photography thing they consider themselves above it all. what a load of pompous nonsense.
    I have to tell you, 'Rooz' ... this is rapidly heading for the "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot"-file. I already told you ... a number of times, video complicates things and you are simply making the case for me.

How about this ... no overhead. If you want a DSLR with Video, in a SONY ... the wait continues. Me, I simply don't care. If it shows up ... that's that.

BTW: Obviously, someone at SONY did not appreciate someone "popping the secret can open, too soon" and they nailed that website. The link has been blanked. Oops!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-09-2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I already told you ... a number of times, video complicates things and you are simply making the case for me.
    yes, you told me a number of times. does that make it true ? if i tell you the earth is flat over and over again...does that make it true t ? no. cos both statements are baseless and full of shit.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    yes, you told me a number of times. does that make it true ? if i tell you the earth is flat over and over again...does that make it true t ? no. cos both statements are baseless and full of shit.
    You live on the bottom of the earth upside down (I'm sorry I couldn't resist.)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II