Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't think photographers want video much, but I think cinema shooters want a cheaper way to shoot "real" video, especially with the really high quality glass available.

I guess I got into this too late, and neither of the links at the beginning point to anything interesting. I'm guessing the Russian site had up specs?

Maybe Sony is hopping around and testing out new info on different sites? Weird.

Edit: Found it at photoclubalpha.

They are um... different. I'm very interested in holding one. I think Sony is really focusing on the point and shoot consumer market, these don't really include any new features for photographers. The live view was like this, but I'm getting the vibe that Sony is kinda doing an "if we can't beat CaNikon head on, lets do something different, go for a different market."

I hope the new A700 is really nice, and has some nice reasonably priced lenses to go with it.
    Last edited by laydros; 05-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I don't think photographers want video much, but I think cinema shooters want a cheaper way to shoot "real" video, especially with the really high quality glass available.
    It seems split down the middle. Quite a heated debate over at DPR. It seems half the people are quite adamant against integrating video, thinking it would really take away from the camera's photographing abilities.

I'm all for new optional features...

Excuse me, but that took a consortium of people to produce that short clip. Okay, you movie-makers ... have fun ... I've got real photography to do. Cinematography is that camera I ... oh yeah, don't own.
    Yes, I know it was a professionally done video, but that's just the quality difference I was pointing out. And yes, I know there's a difference between photography and videography, but I don't see why the two can't coexist in a camera.

On a different note, I wonder when d-slrs were first introduced if there were heated debates against switching to a digital SLR because it wasn't film media (come to think of it, there are still those which shoot film and scan it in still).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Ryan,

If you do not appreciate film, I can see your point. There are a tremendous number of "professionals" that will only shoot film, particularly slide film. That's their bread and butter ... and they are not switching out ... yet.

You might ask them why? It could be a really eye-opener, because these people are not uninformed or ignorant.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

these are still rumours correct ? no video ? no flip screen ? they're dead in the water then.

hate to burst your bubble on this Don but the d40 has this info button which was carried over to the d40x, d60 etc. i told you this in your original thread about it but as per usual with you....never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

dont even get me started on the video debate. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

no real official announcement yet. just a translated Russian Sony page so far!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Talking INFO ... 7/24 ... let it be

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hate to burst your bubble on this Don but the d40 has this info button which was carried over to the d40x, d60 etc. i told you this in your original thread about it but as per usual with you....never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    Burst as you want ... the benefit goes to the new folks. I doubt I will have any use for the camera-series being presented. I may buy a few as gifts for a few friends, but that would be where it ends.

It is good to know the electronic aspect of the camera is being exploited.

As far as video goes ... I still have no use for such a time-wasting feature. How about we concentrate on noise-improvement?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    As far as video goes ... I still have no use for such a time-wasting feature. How about we concentrate on noise-improvement?
    no use for it ? then dont use it. who's twisting your arm ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question If it is fixed, why break it?

I don't need video in my camera, but I could use a clear, enhanced ISO-6400 or more. Now that would be USEFUL ... "useful", of course, being the operative word here and not something that will eventually compromise my tool. You already know that EVERYTHING breaks ... it's just a matter of WHEN.

All you guys did was complain that Super SteadyShot was a liability in the SONY, because it could break. Well, I have news for you ... it hasn't and it is now in 10 different DSLR models, including Full Frame. I've had the A100 working for the past three years and it still gives me 7/24 image stability.

SONY even took LiveView, which I still, personally, do not use ... and made a better implementation of it than either Nikon or Canon. They are looking to improve the tool ... and this DSLR release w/o "Video Inside" may just say a lot about the quality that currently is at risk. Despite accusations to the contrary, they do not consult me on these things. LOL I am just whistling in the wind.

Aside from that, Nikon's rudimentary install of the "?" key is a far cry from my idea. I expect expansion into the smattering of SONY (as well as other) lenses, flashes and other attachables ... and their database being incorporated into the INFO idea. If done properly, there should be no reason to consult the paper manual again. Just attach the lens and read on, brave adventurer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-08-2009 at 03:23 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Rooz, it does have a better articulating screen. Nothing rotatable as far as I could tell, but it seemed like the screen had more flexibility and could rotate at greater angles.

Overall, it's not much new as far as I saw on that product page. We will know soon enough.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I don't need video in my camera, but I could use a clear, enhanced ISO-6400 or more.
    one is not mutually exclusive from the other.

Now that would be USEFUL ... "useful", of course, being the operative word here.
    useful to who ? lots of people would use it, including me, so if you dont want to use it, don't.

not something that will eventually compromise my tool. You already know that EVERYTHING breaks ... it's just a matter of WHEN.
    complete and utter bullshit. why will it break ? what evidence have you got that this will occur ? has it broken in P&S ? no.

All you guys did was complain that Super SteadyShot was a liability in the SONY, because it could break. Well, I have news for you ... it hasn't and it is now in 10 different DSLR models, including Full Frame. I've had the A100 working for the past three years and it still gives me 7/24 image stability.
    straw man argument. NO ONE ever said that. not ever. so...more bullshit.

Aside from that, Nikon's rudimentary install of the "?" key is a far cry from my idea. I expect expansion into the smattering of SONY (as well as other) lenses, flashes and other attachables ... and their database being incorporated into the INFO idea. If done properly, there should be no reason to consult the paper manual again. Just attach the lens and read on, brave adventurer.
    your idea will not be in the sony dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Rooz, it does have a better articulating screen. Nothing rotatable as far as I could tell, but it seemed like the screen had more flexibility and could rotate at greater angles.

Overall, it's not much new as far as I saw on that product page. We will know soon enough.
    oly seem to have the best version of the screen with the side flip but in doing that, they get rid of 4 key buttons on the left side of the LCD to make room for the hinge. i think thats why sony and nikon have gone down the route of a screen hinged from the bottom. i think its a good comprimise although, sony's original version wasnt much chop.
    flickr