Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Red face An embarrassing "squeeze"

Well, I posted my comment on "Backstage 101" (<- click here) and pointed out their ... ahem, indifference to my suggestion. In fact, it was kind of funny to read through the "INFO Button" thread and see them kind of dodge the idea. This is a weird dodge, aint it? I mean, having it implemented in the camera and all, AFTER the "big PMA show" in Las Vegas.

It does show one thing, though ... they actually ARE listening. We can all benefit from that.

Oh, and 'Rooz', 'Csae', Dennis, 'JTL', Ray, 'K1W1', 'shshsh', 'GaryS' and 'CDI' ... The public won!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-08-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well the video in the D5000 and 1ti still need work (especially when it comes to focusing obviously) But they also do wobble.

From engadget

Now, onto video. On paper, this one's easily an area where the T1i should dominate... right? Unfortunately, the T1i's 1080p movie mode carries along an unorthodox (ad unappreciated) 20fps setting, which is obviously nowhere close to the more widely accepted 24fps and 30fps standards. The 720p mode does do 30fps, but we couldn't but point out that the Full HD isn't quite as luxurious as advertised. Much like the D5000, the T1i also has a limit on capturing clips. With the D5000, there's a five minute per-clip maximum at 720p. On Canon's shooter, there's a 4GB per-clip ceiling, which roughly equates to 18 minutes of 720p footage or 12 minutes of 1080p. Either way, the time limit isn't nearly as strict on the T1i as it is on the D5000.

Oh, the quality? We know the Nikonians hate to hear it, but the Canon takes the cake here -- for two reasons, really. First off, at least the T1i has a 1080p mode, albeit a hamstrung one. When played back on a PC monitor, the output was definitely striking, as was the 720p footage. Secondly, the T1i doesn't exhibit the infamous "jelly effect" nearly as bad as does the D5000. Sure, there's a certain amount of wobble that's capture while walking as flat-footed as possible, but it's still far more tolerable than capturing that same walk with the D5000 (or D90, really). Also, we tended to lose focus a lot less with Canon's cam, and unlike either of Nikon's video-capable DSLRs, at least the T1i has a way (one that's admittedly clunky) to refocus automatically. Before starting a clip, the T1i instructs you to hold the "*" button to get the shot in focus; once you (or your subjects) begin to move, you can simply mash that button again to bring things back into focus without you having to touch the focus ring. We know, professional videographers will scoff at such a notion, but the novice born with only two hands and half a brain, it's a clever shortcut that gets the job done in most situations. Have a look at the clips below to see precisely what we mean.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Well the video in the D5000 and 1ti still need work (especially when it comes to focusing obviously) But they also do wobble.

From engadget
    i'm sure the sales people will leave those parts out when trying to pitch it against the Sony!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    i'm sure the sales people will leave those parts out when trying to pitch it against the Sony!
    Oh yeah I'm sure. They already do. Many times they fail to even point out sony.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Look, if you want real video ... buy a real video camera. C'mon ... SONY makes a ton of them.(<- click here)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-08-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i don't want video....just like i don't care for a camera on my cell phone.
    but that is the way the trend is moving towards....hybrid devices!
    eventually it will be part of a checklist for choosing a DSLR and would be rated negatively just cause it is not incorporated.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Sorry ... I guess I was just making sense to ... myself ... I guess. Hmmm

flickr & Sdi

No but seriously, just think, how cool would it be to make a movie with a wide angle lens or a 70-200mm F/2.8. With an APS-C sized sensor or full frame, you would have huge control over DOF. Those sensors in those things are tiny. It's like a p&s versus an SLR.

If you want to shoot home movies, yes, those are great. But putting together a nice edited film, you gotta have the right tool for the job.

Check out reverie

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/ga...77930419_dgxvY
    flickr

that's hella cool!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Cool One man band ...

Excuse me, but that took a consortium of people to produce that short clip. Okay, you movie-makers ... have fun ... I've got real photography to do. Cinematography is that camera I ... oh yeah, don't own.

flickr & Sdi