Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It was done in AUTO ... camera's choice. Take it up with SONY, 'Rooz'

I set to continuous bracket and shot fast and loose.

Here is the -2 Ev (camera's choice):
    Name:  -2EV-MAPUSAURUS.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  440.1 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I disagree ...

0 Ev
    Attachment 46111

but then again, I have been known to do that. I just think they look too ... plasticky, without the "treatment."

Perhaps you can play with it and do some various adjustments in curves, color and other things, but I like the way the sky comes out in the HDRs ... because, it just gets lost at 0 EV, in my opinion.

BTW: I tossed in the "Poster Edges" filter to bring up the scales, skin wrinkles, and trees.
    Eh, I guess either way it comes out looking plasticy, that's just how it is.
    I don't know, I don't think you could make these things look good, who knows? They just seem like average touristy snapshots

You must have spot metered (or center weighted with no sky) somewhere in a shadow because even for the dinosaur, he's over exposed for 0 EV as rooz pointed out.

Oh I see you did it in AUTO, why? ... Aren't you a proponent for telling the camera what to do?

Take it up with SONY, 'Rooz'
    Way to give him more ammo!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

If I headed back, to do these again, I would have a better idea of what to bring, than I had when I went. I was down to three too long lenses (28-75, 70-200, 200-500) and no 'pod, so I HDR'd the entire shoot. It was kind of fun ... and I guess I am sort of amazed they aren't hitting stride with you guys. I found myself rushing through the exhibit, basically just to see what these things looked like.

Going back I would probably bring the 24mm f/2.8 ... since I was kind of backed up with the 28-75mm f/2.8.

Maybe I should try it with the storm coming in ... for the cloud effects. That could be an interesting shoot. Timing would be critical, of course. That blank sky kind of sucks.

Something like this, perhaps ...

Name:  justb4rain.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  193.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It was done in AUTO ... camera's choice. Take it up with SONY, 'Rooz'
    i dont really care what the meter or sony says. the image is GROSSLY overexposed. if you dont believe your own eyes by looking at the image, then check the histogram which would be fully bunched to the right. you've lost around a quarter of dynamic range in that image.

there's nothing in that scene that is correctly exposed, even the black pole at his feet is overexposed. i'll give sony the benefit of the doubt here to suggest its either user error, (most likely), or its a camera fault which needs repair.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Oh ok, there -2EV, the best looking shot of the bunch. There's something with potential you could work with in RAW.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I do not usually use AUTO ... and this is a pretty good idea of why. Just pointing and shooting, not worrying about the metering because the camera is supposed to, right? Anyway ... it's been shot and I have chosen my way of dealing with it. Agree or disagree ... it is what it is. I wanted a series of quick HDR shots and got them. You have seen them.

I appreciate your input and understand your points of view on the issue. Remember, this is suppose to be for enjoyment, too. Sometimes, we all lose sight of that. I had a good time ...

flickr & Sdi

i think you;ve just mixed up the order of the shots. the -2ev looks like the 0. the one you said was 0 is the +2ev.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i think you;ve just mixed up the order of the shots. the -2ev looks like the 0. the one you said was 0 is the +2ev.
    Could be yeah, depending on which order you have it set in the menu of the A700.
    flickr

If you didn't appreciate the 0 Ev shot, you really don't want to see the +2 Ev ... LOL

Remember the "Chicago Fire?" Yeah ... blazing! The HDR procedure of Photoshop CS4 allows you to shift the white point in the image ... oh, it 'guestimates' it for you, but you still have the option. You simply slide it over to crisp up the image, convert to a 16-bit image and then move on to the customization curve for contrast/light intensities.

Anyway, don't fret ... I am not fall under the "AUTO " spell. It was just handy for the initial run through. I can plan the shots better now knowing the complete layout, sizes and the distances. The weird part is that some shots are right into the sun and others ... with it over your shoulder. It would take all day to get it right for the layout, in my opinion. I also could use a couple of positioned reflectors to highlight some of the beasties. Yes, there is burning and dodging ... but, wouldn't it be nice to NOT HAVE TO?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2009 at 10:26 PM.

flickr & Sdi

whether its in full auto, or semi auto, or even full manual mode, doesn't make any difference. the meter behaves and "reads" the scene in the exact same way. that shot shows a gross fault in the metering of the scene, or you've mixed up the exposures.
    flickr