Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Hi laydros

Thanks for your very informative post, I'm now fresh out of questions :-)

I'm just waiting to see the a330 (or whatever they will call it) and compare it to the 500D.

Thanks a lot to all, who took time out to help me!

Carsten

The list is short, but worthwhile
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Thanks for a good job (in educating a probie) !!!

Sorry Don, I didn't mean to leave anyone out.

Thanks a lot to:

DonSchap
    laydros
    Elisha82
    dr4gon
    Rooz
    seanhoxx

I hope I haven't been too much trouble and that I'm allowed to return with more questions if (probably "when" ) I need...

Thanks.

Carsten

SONY is waiting for you ... Muahahahahaha
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Read the thread again, and found something...

Hi Guys

Sorry for "waking up" this thread again (I know you're thinking; "Good he's gone" :-)), but I'm not!

I came to think of something laydros wrote as an answer to a question of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    (CALUN wrote) 6. Someone told me that, when I choose to shoot smaller images on my compact, the camera just uses a smaller piece of the sensor, is that the same on the DSLR when I don't use the maximum megapixels ?

No. That is a fairly common misconception. If it did it would look like the picture was zoomed. Instead it uses the entire sensor and downsamples before it saves to the card. Depending on the quality of the downsampling algorithm, a 5MP image off my 8MP Sony compact might be much lower quality than a 5MP image off of a 5MP camera. This ISN'T the case with big camera makers like Sony, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, etc, but might be an issue with low quality brands.
    I think I understand this, but I have to ask:

I've had a lot of compact cams and they started out at around 8MP, the latest is 13,6MP and is has only made the pictures more blurry, fuzzy or what would you call it (the pixels tend to "flow together" with no sharp lines or clear distinction between objects)? The first cam was a Sony DSC-T33, next DSC-T9 (the best), DSC-T300 (the worst) and now DSC-W300 (there has been more, all Sony, but not worth mentioning). Will this problem be solved by shooting at lower MPs with a DSLR (it's surtaintly not solved by doing so with a compact cam)? I mean, if you record fewer pixels on the same area of the sensor, it would make them less "crammed" in together!?

I'm probably not making much sense, but I don't know how else to describe it :-).

BTW: Where would I post a Tamron vs Sigma question ?

Thanks again.

Carsten
    Last edited by calun; 06-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Lightbulb A serious suggestion ...

Carsten ... I honest think that SONY Digital question would be better dealt with in the SONY Digital forum, not the SONY DSLR forum.

I cannot think of a single person who is using a SONY Digital cam alongside their DSLR. I mean I may be wrong, but the subject just never comes up.

You may want to take this question ONE FORUM UP ^

flickr & Sdi

i know i would never buy a Sony compact.
    i tend to prefer the Panasonic or Canon for compacts.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Carsten, You may have got this all wrong.
    I think you are viewing the images on screen at 1 to 1 magnification. That means that the much smaller pixel from the 13.6MP sensor is being magnified much more and will look more blurry.
    If you view the images from both cameras at the same size, say 10x8, then the 13.6MP camera will be a clear winner.
    Incidentally the T33 was a 5MP camera, not 8MP.

It's not possible to record fewer pixels on the same area of the sensor; the sensor comprises 13.6 million Receptors and each Receptor equates to a pixel.
    When Laydros talks of downsampling the image, the processor in the camera is basically chucking away pixels to make the image smaller.

The DSLR has a bigger Sensor so the Receptors (Pixels) are bigger to start off with so gather more photons and need less magnification to reach the same viewing size.

If you have a Tamron vs Sigma question; just ask it here. Someone is bound to have some ideas.

I haven't made myself clear...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Carsten ... I honest think that SONY Digital question would be better dealt with in the SONY Digital forum, not the SONY DSLR forum.

I cannot think of a single person who is using a SONY Digital cam alongside their DSLR. I mean I may be wrong, but the subject just never comes up.

You may want to take this question ONE FORUM UP ^
    I'm sorry, my question is NOT about compacts but indeed about DSLR, I was afraid I didn't make myself clear...

What I'm asking is - for DSLR - will my pictures be better (less fuzzy and blurry looking if I record at lower MP ?

The other long explanation was just to give you some background on my question :-)

Is this better ?

Carsten

Written for a dummy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Carsten, You may have got this all wrong.
    I think you are viewing the images on screen at 1 to 1 magnification. That means that the much smaller pixel from the 13.6MP sensor is being magnified much more and will look more blurry. If you view the images from both cameras at the same size, say 10x8, then the 13.6MP camera will be a clear winner.
    Got it, nice writing (just what a dummy needs )!

Incidentally the T33 was a 5MP camera, not 8MP.
    You're right, I'm an old man and my memory starts to fail :-)

It's not possible to record fewer pixels on the same area of the sensor; the sensor comprises 13.6 million Receptors and each Receptor equates to a pixel. When Laydros talks of downsampling the image, the processor in the camera is basically chucking away pixels to make the image smaller.
    Got it..

The DSLR has a bigger Sensor so the Receptors (Pixels) are bigger to start off with so gather more photons and need less magnification to reach the same viewing size.
    Hmm, not quite getting this, does this have a positive effect on the IQ ?

If you have a Tamron vs Sigma question; just ask it here. Someone is bound to have some ideas.
    Great : Well, I need to choose a lense, and my choice is, for now, between Sigma 18-250 F3,5-6,3 DC OS and Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5 - 6,3 Di II VC. I'm going for this type of lense, since I earlier borrowed a 450D with 18-55 and 70-200 lenses and it was really annoying to have to change the lenses all the time.

But, and there's always a but , I'm worried about primarily two things:

1. Lens creep - as I understand this is very annoying?
    2. Picture quality - I've read that the Tamron is VERY soft around the edges and at 6,3 they don't let in a lot of light?

Please try to guide me and help me make an informed dissision - would like to hear from owners of these lenses as well.....

Thanks a lot.

Carsten