Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Please, don't qoute me as hating Nikons, I don't, for some reason they just don't suit me, I have tried a D70 I think it was called, and I'm fond of the big house. Other Nikons I've seen have the same big houses. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Nikon, not at all.... And what is POTN ????

Thanks for links BTW, I'm sifting through them now, much information

Carsten

i think most of us who want DSLRs want something big enough to hold comfortably. and may only get a small rebel sized one as a backup. you'll realize this when your pink has nowhere to go!
    but in your case you are looking for something tiny anyway so your only choice seems to be the T1i. doubt they will make the a330 any smaller than the current a300.
    Or you can look at the Panasonic one as well!

here's the link to POTN: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    i think most of us who want DSLRs want something big enough to hold comfortably. and may only get a small rebel sized one as a backup. you'll realize this when your pink has nowhere to go!
    but in your case you are looking for something tiny anyway so your only choice seems to be the T1i. doubt they will make the a330 any smaller than the current a300.
    Or you can look at the Panasonic one as well!

here's the link to POTN: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
    Can't remember how I got mine really. I think I just wanted a new toy to play with. Sure turned out to be a lot more expensive than I thought. Heck, the Tamron 17-50mm was quite a shock.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

From the leaked pictures, the A330 looks like the grip will be a lot smaller than the A300.

Quote Originally Posted by calun View Post
    Hi Guys.

Most of you are probably sleeping now, so this gives me some time to sum up this thread (I'm very glad about all your help and posts, you really know your stuff). My choice is still between the coming Sony a330 with a 18-250 lense and the Canon 500D with the new Tamron 18-270 lense. I want the smallest camera possible with HD-video. Just to clear up, I've had many compacts, but now I'm ready to move on and I love the much better depth-perception that DSLR gives.

These things are what I still need answered :

1. laydros writes: "I think a super zoom might be a good option, the only real loss is low light and shallow depth of field. That may or may not matter." I have borrowed a 450D with 70-200 lense, it makes great "depth" pictures, so I don't understand want you write here !? (congrats on your graduation )
    I'm talking about shallow depth of field. That is what part of the picture is in focus. With a very shallow depth of field, you can get your subject in focus and blur the background. This is a pleasing effect that has a lot of artistic benefit. There are a number of factors which effect this, and the size of the sensor is one of them. A full frame digital SLR has a sensor the same size as a frame of 35mm film. Other DSLRs, which is most any below $3000, has an APS sized sensor, which is about 2/3 of the size of a 35mm frame, and a compact camera has a much smaller sensor, about 1/5 the size of a 35mm frame. The smaller the frame, the deeper the depth of field, and harder it is to get stuff out of focus.

2. Rooz writes: "rumblings about inconsistent and inaccurate AF". Does this
    also apply to the 500D ?
    I believe when he says the new Rebels are having AF issues, he means the 500D. It is the only new one in almost a year. I haven't heard specifics about this yet, it may be a simple firmware upgrade, or it may be a big problem.

3. I see some talk about bad shots at high or low ISO (don't remember which, sorry), does this apply to the Canon as well ?
    ISO in a digital is like film ISO. If you ever shot film you probably could choose between 100, 200, 400, or 800. I never saw 1600. The higher the number, the more sensitive to light. More sensitive to light means you can shoot in low light with a shorter shutter speed (needed to prevent blur) but at the cost of grain. In digital it works the same, except a higher number causes noise, instead of grain, but they can look similar. Until the more recent generation of Nikons (D90, D300, probably D5000) Canon was by far the front runner in low noise with the 30D, XTi, and everything since. However Nikon basically leapfrogged Canon in this regard with their more recent cameras, however it is a narrow difference. Sony struggles in this area. With my A300 ISO 800 was emergency use only, with the Rebel XS (1000D in Europe) 1600 was iffy, and on my 40D ISO 3200 is usable, but only if really needed. The 40D does retail for almost 3x as much as the A300, but the A300 and 1000D sell for the same price.

4. Do I understand correctly, that high ISO is used at low light shots and these are hard to get right ?
    Sorta. With an f/1.8 lens and a camera that can shoot ISO 1600 you can shoot some ok pictures of a band at a club.

But one thing that gets lost in the forums is that this stuff is relative. 15 years ago the top photographers for National Geographic and Sports Illustrated didn't have access to the kind of low noise perfomance we have now. Good ISO 1600 film didn't create results as good as the 500D or D5000 can. These things are relative.

5. When recording HD-video I can still zoom, but will the Sony and Canon still use AF ?
    I don't think any can AF except maybe the new Panasonic G1H, which is way out of your price range. I don't think it has been explained very well, but the HD function on these cameras is not very good for taking a video of a kids soccer game. It is almost like a cinema camera. Without autofocus it isn't much more than a novelty unless you have been to cinematographer school.

6. Someone told me that, when I choose to shoot smaller images on my compact, the camera just uses a smaller piece of the sensor, is that the same on the DSLR when I don't use the maximum megapixels ?
    No. That is a fairly common misconception. If it did it would look like the picture was zoomed. Instead it uses the entire sensor and downsamples before it saves to the card. Depending on the quality of the downsampling algorithm, a 5MP image off my 8MP Sony compact might be much lower quality than a 5MP image off of a 5MP camera. This ISN'T the case with big camera makers like Sony, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, etc, but might be an issue with low quality brands.

7. And just for interest, do the the lense "speak" to the camera about the IS, or does the lense take care of this on it's own ?
    I think a lens with built in IS takes care of it on its own. It might report back if IS was on or off, but I think the lens operates independently.

8. And one thing I don't understand, if the 500D and the T1i Rebel are the same, why are they both on canon.com ?
    Canon currently sells a number of DSLR cameras. The 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 5D Mark II, 40D and 50D are sold under those names all over the world. The digital Rebels have always had different names in different markets. In Japan they are called "Kiss," in the USA they are called "Rebel," and in other markets such as Europe (and I think the rest of Asia) they are called by a model number like the other cameras. It is a confusing scheme because within a line, a higher number is better, but the better lines have smaller numbers. The 1000D is the bottom rung, and the 1D is the top pro camera. The 5D comes in below the 1D, and the 50D and 40D below that, but the 50D is a newer improved version of the 40D. The xxxD series comes below that, but the 500D is newer than the 400D and 350D. The 1000D is slotted below the 450 and 500D, but is still called Rebel, and isn't really all that big of a difference.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Carsten
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Jason, i don't think you have the a300 a chance with high ISO. ISO800 is pretty clean and ISO1600 is usable as well as long as you expose to the right a little.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post

Rooz, what's the nikon equivalent to POTN, is it Nikonians? (sucks how it isn't free)
    http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/index.php
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    Ah ok, just registered and now see the entire forum. Thanks (sir )

So, Dyxum for Sony, Nikon Cafe for Nikon, and Photography on the Net for Canon, sweet.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 05-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

So, Dyxum for Sony, Nikon Cafe for Nikon, and Photography on the Net for Canon, sweet.
    stay away from this thread if you intend to continue with sony.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/sho...light=200mm+f2
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I probably enjoyed dynaxdigital.com for Sony more than dyxum. Both are good, but I really enjoyed the small group here too. Things aren't as exciting in the Canon forum here as the Sony forum. Thats why we like to come bug you guys.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I probably enjoyed dynaxdigital.com for Sony more than dyxum. Both are good, but I really enjoyed the small group here too. Things aren't as exciting in the Canon forum here as the Sony forum. Thats why we like to come bug you guys.
    Yeah, POTN and Nikon cafe have a ton of content which is good, but also the problem because there's a lot to filter through.

Oh yeah, you know you miss us!
    Last edited by dr4gon; 05-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    flickr