Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    As hard as it is to say $1300.00 really isn't that bad for CZ f/1.8 and 135mm. I don't think the Minolta 135mm would be as 'vivid' and crisp eh?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

It was a choice between the CZ 85mm f/1.4 for a $100 less ... and already having the TAMRON 90mm f/2.8 and the TAMRON 180mm f/3.5 in the bag ... it just seemed to be the better choice ... right in between. Longer and portrait ready for the A900 ... seemingly a no-brainer. I still love this lens ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

My friend that uses Canon shoots with a Canon 85mm 1.4 I think thats what it is at a lot of the basketball games as the lesn on his second camera. He says it would be a great lens for my 700.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

canon skipped the 1.4. they only have a 1.2 and 1.8.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Wink Need a summation

Hi Guys.

Most of you are probably sleeping now, so this gives me some time to sum up this thread (I'm very glad about all your help and posts, you really know your stuff). My choice is still between the coming Sony a330 with a 18-250 lense and the Canon 500D with the new Tamron 18-270 lense. I want the smallest camera possible with HD-video. Just to clear up, I've had many compacts, but now I'm ready to move on and I love the much better depth-perception that DSLR gives.

These things are what I still need answered :

1. laydros writes: "I think a super zoom might be a good option, the only real loss is low light and shallow depth of field. That may or may not matter." I have borrowed a 450D with 70-200 lense, it makes great "depth" pictures, so I don't understand want you write here !? (congrats on your graduation )

2. Rooz writes: "rumblings about inconsistent and inaccurate AF". Does this
    also apply to the 500D ?

3. I see some talk about bad shots at high or low ISO (don't remember which, sorry), does this apply to the Canon as well ?

4. Do I understand correctly, that high ISO is used at low light shots and these are hard to get right ?

5. When recording HD-video I can still zoom, but will the Sony and Canon still use AF ?

6. Someone told me that, when I choose to shoot smaller images on my compact, the camera just uses a smaller piece of the sensor, is that the same on the DSLR when I don't use the maximum megapixels ?

7. And just for interest, do the the lense "speak" to the camera about the IS, or does the lense take care of this on it's own ?

8. And one thing I don't understand, if the 500D and the T1i Rebel are the same, why are they both on canon.com ?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Carsten
    Last edited by calun; 05-10-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added another question...

heres my summation: if you are buying a dslr for video, you are making a terrible decision. canons AF for video is very primitive and nikon doesn't even bother with AF. video in dslr is a bonus, thats all it is. a bonus for short clips or for really advanced users who get very high quality results.

if you are buying a dslr for the best possible image quality then the d90/ 500d/ d5000 are very similar. sony trails them cos their sensor is simply not as good. not to mention the a330 doesnt even exist yet so how can you choose it ? you have no idea how it performs or what it features.

you need to figure out for yourself why you narrowed it down to the choices you did cos i certianly dont see the logic.
    Last edited by Rooz; 05-10-2009 at 01:35 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Smile Maybe I need to be more clear

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    heres my summation: if you are buying a dslr for video, you are making a terrible decision. canons AF for video is very primitive and nikon doesn't even bother with AF. video in dslr is a bonus, thats all it is. a bonus for short clips or for really advanced users who get very high quality results.

if you are buying a dslr for the best possible image quality then the d90/ 500d/ d5000 are very similar. sony trails them cos their sensor is simply not as good. not to mention the a330 doesnt even exist yet so how can you choose it ? you have no idea how it performs or what it features.

you need to figure out for yourself why you narrowed it down to the choices you did cos i certianly dont see the logic.
    I'm not buying it only for video, I simply just want that feature as well.

I mention the a330, because I hope it will have video, if not, I'm not buying a Sony, I'm not so fond of the houses, but I like the "warm" colors better than on the Canon. Nikon is not for me, I can't put my finger on it, but I don't like them .

I have access to borrow the a330 (or whatever it will be called) when it comes out so I can test it (and before you say it, yes, it will be an amateur-test, since I'm not near so advanced as you guys )

You mention the AF is icky when using video on the Canon, will it at all try to keep things in focus ?

Thanks.

for Sony, visit:
    www.dyxum.com
    www.photoclubalpha.com
    www.dynaxdigital.com

and also check out the Canon equivalent forums. i'm sure they can give you more info than all 5 of us LOL!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by calun View Post
    Nikon is not for me, I can't put my finger on it, but I don't like them .
    What an gross baseless generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    for Sony, visit:
    www.dyxum.com
    www.photoclubalpha.com
    www.dynaxdigital.com

and also check out the Canon equivalent forums. i'm sure they can give you more info than all 5 of us LOL!
    Canon has POTN.

Rooz, what's the nikon equivalent to POTN, is it Nikonians? (sucks how it isn't free)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i didn't suggest any Nikon sites since he was hating on Nikons.
    If i were ever to switch, it would be to a Nikon.
    The only Canon model i like at the moment is the 50D.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR