Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    In my opinion ... (and I have been known to have a few) going to an airshow w/o a 200-500mm is an unqualified MISTAKE of a caliber I have yet to equal (and yes, I've made a few mistakes, too - but don't tell anyone).

That one lens will be the source of rather impressive images to wow the young and make the old people say "My God, will ya look at the the lens on that fella!"

If you are going to all the trouble to go to the PARIS Air Show ... get this lens and take it with (on an evaluation). It is perfect for those high speed runway passes and when the military pilot ejects and lets the plane go where it pleases!

Name:  AirShowCrash.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  19.6 KB

Remember: 200-500mm .. and ask for nothing else, because you just do NOT want to be there, when the plane "augers in"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi Guys

I owe you to tell you what I decided :-):

- I'm not sure you're going to be happy, but I have really fallen for the Canon 500D, so I've ordered that. I was looking at the new Sonys and liked the new displays with the "build in help" menus, but no video and I don't know anyone with Sony cams, so we can't borrow each others lenses a.s.o.
    - At the same time, I'm a hopeless amateur so I've bought the Tamron 18-270. As I said earlier, I went to the Paris Airshow (GREAT experiance) last friday, and I had to change lense all the time, very annoying... BUT: Last night I went to a wedding, and oh boy, I really need something with a lower F value, so I've bought a used 50mm F1.8 lense on ebay.

Well guys, this might be the end for now, I'm pretty sure you'll show me to the door very quick, so I better start heading there :-), but I REALLY appreciate all your help and knowledge on things.

THANKS A LOT!!!

Carsten

good choice. I always recommend getting a brand your friends have anyway so you can borrow lenses and stuff. No point being the odd ball and struggling especially when you are first starting out!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

A little secret.

Quote Originally Posted by calun View Post
    Hi Guys

I owe you to tell you what I decided :-):

- I'm not sure you're going to be happy, but I have really fallen for the Canon 500D, so I've ordered that. ...

Well guys, this might be the end for now, I'm pretty sure you'll show me to the door very quick, so I better start heading there :-), but I REALLY appreciate all your help and knowledge on things.

THANKS A LOT!!!

Carsten
    Well Carsten I don't think we can blame you on the choice since you wanted video and have friend's lenses you can borrow. And actually, if you look through the post you might actually see that this forum has a few interlopers now and then. Of course, we would say it's because they secretly wished they had bought Sony.

So, I say don't be a stranger ... but be ready for some razzing (in good fun of course).
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    i know i would never buy a Sony compact.
    i tend to prefer the Panasonic or Canon for compacts.
    I'm the opposite, used to buy canon compact later switched to sony (it has the best color, canon compact color is boring). The rumor is Nikon dslr uses sony chip, that might explain why nikon dslr has a better IQ than Rebel.

It seems to me for Canon it has to be at least 40D/50D to get a better IQ than most of Nikon's. I'm new to the DSLR and looking for one mostly indoor on stage dancing shooting. Ironically, I've looked pbase.com, most of the indoor sports or stage shooting by Nikon D90 (with f2.8 glass) are not as sharp as those by 50D's, is this a Canon lense advantage? or AF speed? Yet everyone I talked to told me (recently) how Nikon's high ISO performance is better than Canon's, guess except for moving target. In landscape and portrait shooting the edge seem to be with D90/D60's over Rebel's, though 50D is good too. The best outdoor sports I've seen is by 5D Mark II, it's really superb, absolutely state of art, but it's out of my reach.
    Last edited by worthmining; 07-12-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worthmining View Post
    I'm the opposite, used to buy canon compact later switched to sony (it has the best color, canon compact color is boring). The rumor is Nikon dslr uses sony chip, that might explain why nikon dslr has a better IQ than Rebel.

It seems to me for Canon it has to be at least 40D/50D to get a better IQ than most of Nikon's. I'm new to the DSLR and looking for one mostly indoor on stage dancing shooting. Ironically, I've looked pbase.com, most of the indoor sports or stage shooting by Nikon D90 (with f2.8 glass) are not as sharp as those by 50D's, is this a Canon lense advantage? or AF speed? Yet everyone I talked to told me (recently) how Nikon's high ISO performance is better than Canon's, guess except for moving target. In landscape and portrait shooting the edge seem to be with D90/D60's over Rebel's, though 50D is good too. The best outdoor sports I've seen is by 5D Mark II, it's really superb, absolutely state of art, but it's out of my reach.
    most of your post is pretty much nonsense. just cos you see a camera take great shots doesn't mean the camera itself is the only reason, whats behind that camera has alot to do with it. if i link you to awesome shots taken by a canon 350d would you all of a sudden judge a 350d to be superb ? its quite ridiculous to assume so.

the proof that you have NFI is you talk about a MkII being a superb sports camera. its actually the cameras main weakness. the MkII is a superb landscape, portrait, studio camera; not a fast focussing, super accurate sports cam.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

OTT or what? I'm guessing that this new Junior member has packed his bags and gone looking for a more friendly group where a possibly misguided opinion doesn't engender this level of unnecessary abuse.

If you're still reading worthmining, I'd like to say that that response is not what you can normally expect from a Sony user.

The answer to your question depends on your budget. For instance a Sony A900 with 70-200mm f2.8 G lens would do pretty well but can you afford to stump up 3200.