Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Considering a Sony SLR...

Hi

I'm thinking about buying an SLR camera, I have had a lot of Sony compact cams, so it would be natural to get a Sony SLR, but which to buy ?

1. I can read from Jeffs reviews, that the lenses included in the packages are not so good, but I believe the dual-lense package is good value for money, what can I do ?
    2. As said, I've been looking at the Sony A200 package with Sony DT-objektives, 18-70 mm and 75-300 mm the latter lense with F4,5 - 5,6. Will I be disappointed with the last lense at night ?
    3. Any problems on compability with the Sony mounts (is this a narrow range) ?
    4. Any suggestions on something else to look at, in the same pricerange ?

Thanks again.

Carsten

Lightbulb I suggest not rushing this ...

Quote Originally Posted by calun View Post
    Hi

I'm thinking about buying an SLR camera, I have had a lot of Sony compact cams, so it would be natural to get a Sony SLR, but which to buy ?

1. I can read from Jeffs reviews, that the lenses included in the packages are not so good, but I believe the dual-lense package is good value for money, what can I do ?
    2. As said, I've been looking at the Sony A200 package with Sony DT-objektives, 18-70 mm and 75-300 mm the latter lense with F4,5 - 5,6. Will I be disappointed with the last lense at night ?
    3. Any problems on compability with the Sony mounts (is this a narrow range) ?
    4. Any suggestions on something else to look at, in the same pricerange ?

Thanks again.

Carsten
    Well, Carsten, it would appear that SONY is preparing to release a brand new intro-range DSLR ... the α330. You might want to wait just a little bit longer and look at what it has to offer, before committing to another model. It apparently has a couple of optional lens kits that are quite new, also (a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens).

I do believe the α200 may be discontinued shortly, so there is that little complication.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i concur....wait at least a month before you buy anything!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I love my sony a300. I've used alot of different and the tilting screen and live view come in handy like crazy! Buy a sony from a former nikon only user!
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

A900 ;-)

it's only money.

Bear in mind that there isn't any carry over from the Sony compacts to the DSLR, so that isn't a benefit. The interface isn't the same or anything. Sony bought Minolta a few years ago, and the Sony DSLR is a continuation of that line.

That said, I think Sony is making the best entry DSLR right now, but as said above, hold off a bit. The 18-70 kit lens is a real disappointment. The entry level 55-200 and 75-300 aren't great either. But if they have a new 18-55 coming out to replace the 18-70, I expect it will be a good lens. Canon and Nikon's new 18-55 lenses they released last year are good, and Sony will want to keep up.

The A200 and A300 are both great cameras for the money. The A350 is a good camera, but not worth the price against the A300 in my (and many others) opinion.

Hold out a few weeks for this A330, and if it is in your price range, get it. It will almost certainly include video. If not, you should then be able to find a good deal on the A200 or A300 body only, and buy the new 18-55 lens separately.

One very nice thing is you can keep an eye out for older Minolta lenses online, and use them with your Sony camera. They will all have image stabilization because it is in the camera, which you have to pay extra for with Canon and Nikon.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Depending what all is released in the next several weeks you may also see another price drop on the a700 which would well be worth considering. I suspect the a200 will be discontinued with what ever new body is released so if you could get a200 new in the box may be able to get a good deal. From the current kit lenses save the money and the grief and look at a couple of the Tamron lenses that most everyone here has. Maybe the new kits will be good.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Hi Guys (and maybe girls :-))

Thanks for all your answers, I must say, you really know your stuff. I will definately wait for the A330, I would love to have video too...

About the Tamron lenses mentioned by seanhoxx, why are they better and what about the prices for these !?

Thanks again.

Carsten

Lightbulb Since you may have some time ... waiting on the A330

Carsten, not to be boorish ... but, you need to take a few moments to look over the remainder of this very in-depth study of SONY DSLR photography.

In these threads, you will find out more honest and anecdotal information concerning TAMRON lenses than you can probably get from many other places. You really do not have to ask ... just READ a bit.

Start with the first thread in the SONY DSLR Forum, which is a "sticky" (<- click this link) ... and the move through where ever you see a posting on lenses or camera stuff.

Suggestions:
    Like this one -> New SONY users,
    or the "KIT lens",
    and this one "Prepping for the A900"
    and maybe this one, too. Simple Image Quality comparison

We have a lot of really interested members ... and I believe you can learn a lot from the recent past and their postings. Not only will this be faster and at your leisure ... but a heck of lot more information than just trying to ask various questions, hoping they will answer ... because, as luck would have it, most of them already have! This is a very common subject on these pages.

Once you have some of this information (call it homework) under your belt ... you can feel better about asking more direct and informed questions, without all the fluff and filler that usually accompanies it (you will see as you read some of the diatribe, here). If you need a quick reference for an impending purchase, then, of course, ask away ... but, if you have some time ... you will be better off with this very handy and recent research.

Welcome, Carsten ... you should be swimming in good stuff, after this read ... and please share what you get.

Fellows members, please recommend any other lens threads that may be salient to the discussion. Thanks.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Unnatural acts?

Quote Originally Posted by calun View Post
    ..... I have had a lot of Sony compact cams, so it would be natural to get a Sony SLR, but which to buy ?
    Sorry, but there's no logic at all in this reasoning.

I can only reiterate what Don's already so eloquently said!

Good luck.