Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any E-620 Users out There??

I want to move past the problems with my E-1, my E-300, my E-410, my E-420, my E-500, and my E-510 cameras.
    yes I have hung tight to Olympus, but now it is time for a really crucial decision.

This will be my very last attempt to stay in the Olympus camp. Is the E-620 a big enough improvement to make it a camera worth opting for right now?

If it is not, I am am out of here, and headed either for the Canon or Nikon camp, I would sincerely appreciate your honest input. Thanks in advance for your open and honest answers regarding the Olympus E-620 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Sorry can't help with your E620 question Sarah but it does make me wonder what the problems were that have pushed you to want to make the switch?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I agree, what have been your past problems? About the only thing I envy is a more sure-footed autofocus...

My main qualms heve been consistent auto focus and noise at hugh ISO settings.

Sarah Joyce

From my readings of other Olympus forums and reviews it sounds like your concerns have been addressed. The biggest on going complaint seems to be that the Olympus 4/3rd's system seems to have slightly less dynamic range than other DSLR's. It is an open question as to whether this is due to the sensor or the processing engine.

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    My main qualms heve been consistent auto focus and noise at hugh ISO settings.

Sarah Joyce
    I'm wondering if you're still having focusing issues, as firmware releases for the E-5XX and E-4XX series have pretty well solved those, and the E-620 and E-30 haven't had any major focusing issues reported (there's still a smattering of issues reported with the newest firmware revision for the E-3 and some lenses).

Noise is generally well controlled on the new 4/3s sensors, within a reasonable distance from the competition.

As kgosden has noted, the biggest complaint still tends to be lowered dynamic range, which falls in the 1/2-2/3 stop less usable dynamic range than the competition.

I dunno. I prefer smooth low ISO's and dynamic range more. If I wanted clean high ISO and to spend a thousand dollars more I'd have gotten another brand. Even so I'm not too concerned. With cheap larger aperture lenses and built in stabilization it is possible for me to get better low light results for my budget with Olympus than with anyone else. I could get an E-520 and Sigma f/2.8 18-50 for $750. I couldn't even buy an f/2.8 IS lens for Canon for that price, add a camera body and it would double the price of Oly. And Nikon doesn't even make a standard f/2.8 zoom lens with VR. And Sony and Pentax, if anything, are worse at high ISO than Olympus.

Is this the same spammer that was posting last night?

jekostas I've had my E510 for 12 months now & haven't done any firmware updates. Is there anything I ought to have done? & how do I do it? I've always been a bit wary of tinkering to be honest.
    Raven spammer?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Raven spammer?
    Not anymore, looks like Jeff deleted the post.