Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    Ken, What are you doing to yourself?
    You approach photography from the wrong angle. Yes all lenses have distortions to some extend with some less than others, depending on designs. And there are different kinds of distortion.
    If there is a reason for you to suspect your copy is bad then by any mean test it. If you notice half the image is blurry or can't get sharpness then test it. Otherwise, just enjoy taking the photos; don't get too paranoid with a possible bad lens that you have no reason to believe anyway.
    Well said, just be aware of the conditions (focal length, etc.) that cause certain common issues to be more prevalent.
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Ken, What are you doing to yourself?
    If there is a reason for you to suspect your copy is bad then by any mean test it. If you notice half the image is blurry or can't get sharpness then test it. Otherwise, just enjoy taking the photos; don't get too paranoid with a possible bad lens that you have no reason to believe anyway.
    yepp yepp. well said.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, I am a bit paranoid because of my experience purchasing my first lens, especially from a well known dealer. Also alot of reviews with people stating that they got a bad copy. After exchanging the lens with a new one I believe that I do have a new and not defective copy. I taken a few pic and they all seemed fine to me, heres a link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2952240...7617357313144/

These are pic of my kit lens. Took it with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. BTW, how much you think I can ebay it for? I have only taken 3k shots.

What? You're ebaying an expensive lens which you just got? Uh... why did you buy the 17-50mm in the first place? *is confused*
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    What? You're ebaying an expensive lens which you just got? Uh... why did you buy the 17-50mm in the first place? *is confused*
    Well I want to ebay my kit lens which is 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G VR. I really like the lens and it shoots very nice pictures. I dont find the need for it since I got my tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and I also think it shoots nice and clear picture. I dont think my kit nikon lens is an expensive lens. I bought the tamron because I wanted a faster lens because I shot without flash and some times I I shoot in doors.

I thought you want to sell the Tamron too. The images on your link look good.
    How much you will get on the 18-105 VR depends on your luck but I'm sure you won't have problem selling it. With the crazy way some people bid on ebay you might even get more than you paid for it but that's only IF you are very lucky. It's a very good lens too despite its cheap price.

I like my Sigma 18-50 but I find it very short for my liking and that was the reason I bought the Nikkor 16-85 VR. I will use both though, one for range and one for DoF (Depth of Field).
    Last edited by tim11; 04-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I thought you want to sell the Tamron too. The images on your link look good.
    How much you will get on the 18-105 VR depends on your luck but I'm sure you won't have problem selling it. With the crazy way some people bid on ebay you might even get more than you paid for it but that's only IF you are very lucky. It's a very good lens too despite its cheap price.

I like my Sigma 18-50 but I find it very short for my liking and that was the reason I bought the Nikkor 16-85 VR. I will use both though, one for range and one for DoF (Depth of Field).
    I just bought my tamron and love it. I dont want to sell the tamron. I just want to sell the nikon but not sure because I rather keep it and use for DOF since I probel will not get much for it. I think the nikon might have a better DOF then the Tamron considering thats it a Nikkor with VR.

Tim1, let me guess you use your Nikon VR for DOF and the sigma for wider apeture? What made you chose the sigma over the tamron?

Yes that will be the purpose. I didn't plan to have this 2 combination originally. I can also use the Sigma hand held in low light without flash too. I chose it based on people recommendation on these forums and because it has macro function too.

A note on ebaying.... I notice the trend of ebay bidding that you will have more success and more for final price if you start the price at 99c. People tend to ignore item that start at, say $100, regardless what they will have to pay in the final price.
    eg. When looking for a 28-105 lens I see people got into bidding frenzy and ended up paying over $250 for a lens that started at 99c, but at the same time ignore one that started at $100 which was the copy I got (final price $177). This is not a one off phenomenon.... let me tell you.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
    I think the nikon might have a better DOF then the Tamron considering thats it a Nikkor with VR/
    dof is not determined by VR or the brand of lens. dof is determined by aperture and FOV, (field of view), ie: focal length.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

yes, I know that. I was just assuming that a brand lens would have a better DOF and IQ then a generic right? Isnt what people say in the forums the brand name lens has better glass?