Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What does IQ means?

When I heard you guys saying "this lens has better IQ", I know that I means it has better stats. What makes a good IQ? or what do I look for in spec of a lens to see the IQ?

IQ stands for Image Quality. I'm not gonna even pretend I know the technical aspects involved but bokeh, sharpness, clarity all play a role.
    D700(gone), D90(gone), D40x
    80-200 f/2.8D(gone), 50 f/1.4G, 100 f/2.8 Series E, 18-55 kitty
    SB900(gone), SB24, Sunpak 383(dead), fired with Paul C Buff triggers

Quote Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
    When I heard you guys saying "this lens has better IQ", I know that I means it has better stats. What makes a good IQ? or what do I look for in spec of a lens to see the IQ?
    I dont bother with specs or stats, I judge a lens on its real world use and actual pictures. I dont trust "lab tests" and specs.

If youre lookin at new lenses, take a look at real world sample images, or rent it before you buy. There are plenty of online places to rent from.

Nothing worse than reading a lens has good specs and you get it home and it sucks ass.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Ken.. good question.. i should have asked when i first started out..

So many abbreviations, us newbs get lost.

The hardest ones Ive tried to figure out were CA and PP.

Just like in high school i just pretended to know what they were talking about to be cool.

Takes a lot to be part of DCRP crew.
    Dtrecenti

pbase is one of my favorite places to gage image quality.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by nsjuice View Post
    Ken.. good question.. i should have asked when i first started out..

So many abbreviations, us newbs get lost.

The hardest ones Ive tried to figure out were CA and PP.

Just like in high school i just pretended to know what they were talking about to be cool.

Takes a lot to be part of DCRP crew.
    haha, what is CA and PP? I am totally a newbie in the DSLR stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    I dont bother with specs or stats, I judge a lens on its real world use and actual pictures. I dont trust "lab tests" and specs.

If youre lookin at new lenses, take a look at real world sample images, or rent it before you buy. There are plenty of online places to rent from.
    I agree with jcon that you don't judge a lens from lab tests. They should be used as a guide to see the lens potential. Owners' opinions can be very biased so beware of that too. Where I am it's hard to rent a lens and very expensive so I have to pay some attention to those 'lab tests' - no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Nothing worse than reading a lens has good specs and you get it home and it sucks ass.
    I know how that feels. Recently I spent $975 on a lens but unfortunately got a bad copy; so not easy when buying a lens you might get a lemon. Make sure you don't damage or scratch it because if that happens you can't get exchange or refund.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

CA = chromatic aberation, PP = purple fringe.... they are the same things. It's where the highlight meets the dark area and you see purple bands.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

IMHO, CC or PP affects a lens IQ.
    Nikon D90, D80

PP could also mean post processing.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!