Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Mini

My new Mini

I am trying to get better at car photography and took these of my new car ('03 Mini Cooper S). It's just the kit lens on my XSi but I think I'm gettin better. You like?

EOS 450D (XSi) | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II | 50mm f/1.8 II | 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Speedlight 430EX II

Some of my pics...

Cute car, I hope the diesel comes to the US.

Some suggestions would be:
    Shoot an hour before dark so you down blow your highlights
    Use a polarized and spin it until reflections go away or deminish
    Park it on grass away from distractions so the car is the focus
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Thanks for the suggestions Obi. I actually wanted to go to the airport and shoot on top of the parking garage but I said eff it and got lazy and just shot in my driveway . You're right it doesn't make a great background. Too much going on and not great contrast.
    EOS 450D (XSi) | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II | 50mm f/1.8 II | 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 | 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 | Speedlight 430EX II

Some of my pics...

I really like the last one, I know some details are lost in the bright and dark areas, but I think it looks cool . The first one isn't bad either, but the background is a bit overexposed. But they look good overall! Definitely try the parking garage idea, I think that will yield some great shots!

And cool car, I love the way those little things handle!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan View Post
    Cute car, I hope the diesel comes to the US.
    Heck yes. Diesel engines are so much better. They'll burn corn oil, olive oil, diesel, ordinary petrol (gasoline) and paraffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Heck yes. Diesel engines are so much better. They'll burn corn oil, olive oil, diesel, ordinary petrol (gasoline) and paraffin.
    Sorry to get OT but modern diesel engines are highly sophisticated and will not burn olive oil or corn oil or paraffin and you cannot under any circumstance ever put petrol (gasoline) into any diesel engine and you never have been able to.

This one is my favourite angle but as others have mentioned it's a shame about the background.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Sorry to get OT but modern diesel engines are highly sophisticated and will not burn olive oil or corn oil or paraffin and you cannot under any circumstance ever put petrol (gasoline) into any diesel engine and you never have been able to.
    No. I have a friend who runs a standard Ford Transit on vegetable oil (usually corn oil) in preference to diesel as it's a load cheaper.

Gustav Diesel who designed the diesel engine designed it to run on peanut oil.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Sto...2189517&page=1

When there was a fuel strike in Britain a couple of years ago, the only vehicles still running after a few days were vehicles with diesel engines and they all zoomed around smelling like chip shops as they were running on 100% vegetable oil.

The trick with vegetable oil is to use preferably used vegetable oil then to filter it through a piece of cloth and to pour a cap full of turpentine into it (it's not essential but cleans the valves).

The debate is out there whether the use of biofuels is detrimental to the newer style diesels, like BlueTec.
    Everywhere I read says it's fine, then I come along an article that says, NO!

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...eer_godwin.pdf
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Gustav Diesel who designed the diesel engine designed it to run on peanut oil.
    Gustav Diesel didn't live in the days of Fuel Emission regulations, Common Rail Fuel Injection, Catalytic Converters, low sulphur diesel, or turbo charged engines.