Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sony 70-300G SSM

all shots were with lens wide open.

Last edited by Elisha; 04-21-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Nice smooth bokeh on the lens. It seems though that the most of the pictures have too much contrast and saturation. Like in the last one, the neck has a black outline.

What do you use to edit your photos, lightroom? What percent quality are you uploading? Any pictures of the lens? I love hardware shots!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i use LR 2.3.
    i jacked up the Contrast slider to +20 and the Green saturation to +50, Shadow to -50
    Regular Saturation is only +10.
    I boosted the Green saturation cause the grass was a dull green. we're still in winter mode here. i had to wear my winter jacket and it was windy.
    my left hand also seems super shaky for some reason. might need to get fit soon.

the geese shots have no contrast and saturation adjustments.

the swan was super tricky. they were slow moving but it was hard to get a sharp shot of their eyes for some reason. must have something to do with the metering.

i'll post a pic of the lens tomorrow for you!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thumbs up Good choice

I suspect this lens will give you "error-free" shots within its limitations. It is definitely an "investment" in better photography and a solid choice.

Enjoy the coming season, knowing your images will be fully capable of being sharp, well-focused and well-colored.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

thanks Don. the lens is solid.
    i like the polycarbonate body. the barrel is thick like a little cannon. too bad you can't use the zoom ring with the hood mounted in reverse.

my left arm was trembling a little today not sure why. i took some squirrel shots at the long end just blurred a little!
    must have been the excitement of owning a G finally.
    too bad the G is not actually in gold on the side of the lens.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Talking G glass ...

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    my left arm was trembling a little today not sure why. i took some squirrel shots at the long end just blurred a little!
    must have been the excitement of owning a G finally.
    too bad the G is not actually in gold on the side of the lens.
    Yeah ... perhaps it should be "stamped" on each image, also! LOL You know, may be it is, when you think about it.

Don't get carried away ... and just enjoy finding out what the value of the glass actually is. It is four times more expensive than just about any other lens in that class. Milk that quality as best you can.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

polycarbonate body

WHAT!!!..NO METAL?

Elisha, i'll be honest....they look way over processed to me. this has introduced alot of noise, a severe loss of dynamic range, the subjects do not appear to be in sharp enough, (OOF???) and the bokeh has gone to hell. if you;re paying for that sort of quality glass, you need to expect to get a far better result out of it.
    Last edited by Rooz; 04-22-2009 at 05:23 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

thanks Rooz....i took the lens straight from the shop to the park.
    i'll back off on those LR sliders and leave more details intact on my next go.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    thanks Rooz....i took the lens straight from the shop to the park.
    i'll back off on those LR sliders and leave more details intact on my next go.
    sorry to say that elisha, i didnt mean to sound like an asshole. once you;ve used the lens some more and improved your technique and dropped the PP, i think you'll look back at these shots and say the same thing i did !

my suggestion would be to try and stop down a little. it looks very soft wide open to me. also try and avoid any iso rating over 500ish, the a700 doesnt seem to like it much. if you;re gonna use 800 bump up your EV to try and mask the noise in the shadows.

this shot is preciesly where auto-iso would work a treat, the exif for it is...
    # 1/1000 second = 0.001 second
    # Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
    # ISO Speed Ratings = 1000

with auto iso, you could set your minimum shutter speed to be 1/400s, which gives you 1.3 stops back in shutter speed. that was the iso rating could have bee pulled back to iso400.

also not sure if you;re aware that this species is VERY difficult to photograph cos they are blakc and white. its very hard indeed to try and expose this right cos the dynamic range in the bird alone is like 12 stops. tough assignment for a brand new lens !
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr