Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to NY City

Trip to NY City

I was in NY for the weekend and took a ride to try to get some images. Here are a few of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Frank

HDR from single RAW file

Church in Brooklyn HDR from single RAW file

I snapped this shot as she was posing for somebody else tking her picture
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Lovely. NYC is my No2. most want to visit city after Tokyo. I'm doing a crazy trip from Slovenia to the Ukraine in the summer which was a bit of a forfeit in visiting either of these cities, but it should provide much more of an adventure!!

hey frank, do you live anywhere near OC choppers ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Realigning my thoughts ...

Franks ... I was looking at the overall shot and noticed the building on the far right was "leaning" a bit. That's a little unnerving, eh? Also the river seem to be sagging a little.

Name:  BrooklynBridgeHDRDynPS.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  120.2 KB

So I straightened the building up a bit lift the river a tad, then lopped off a bit of the sky to center up city view a little more ... I like the way the bridge leads your eyes into the city. By lifting it, it seems to be a little more over-your-shoulder. Solid composition!

Name:  BrooklynBridgeHDRDynPS-crop.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  194.3 KB

Obviously, playing with an already "reduced" JPG image softens it and that is pretty obvious. Anyway ... just using the image and working it a little. Everyone has their own take on composition.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-22-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

wish i could visit NY.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Frank, I really like that shot Don straightened up. Like he said, the composition is spot on.

I also really like the church HDR. It's nice when an HDR has that greater than normal range, but doesn't look over processed. Try that one with the bottom stuff cropped out, focus the image on the church and the sky.

I really want to go to NY to shoot soon. I went for the first time about a year ago, before I was shooting seriously, and still got some fun shots. I may get to go in a few weeks.

I had a lot of fun shooting on a recent trip to DC. I even took a "photo safari," but it was mostly a rehashing of some basics of exposure I already knew. If you guys here have a chance, take a look. Please let me know of any suggestions or CC. I've been posting some in the Canon POTD, but thought it might be fun to share with this group.

Flickr DC Set
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Question Thoughtful reflections

Hey Jason ... what do you think of this composite of your work?

Name:  the-spirits-in-the-VN-wall.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  183.6 KB

Just a thought ...

Hey, back to NYC, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-22-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hey frank, do you live anywhere near OC choppers ?
    No Rooz I don't live near OC Choppers. I live in New Jersey about a half hour from Atlantic City.

Thanks Don I tried to straighten the image but I couldn't get it right.

The city was real crowded downtown they had all the blocks going down to the South Street Seaport blocked off. I wanted to go there and get some images by the water. I am going to make a list of places I want to go and make a day of it.

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Is it just me or does the shot of the bridge above look considerably better with no processing? Yeah the building might lean a little, but that's the way it is!! I can't see the point in straightening it up, particularly when the overall clarity of the picture suffers so awfully. The post production shot doesn't look real at all in my opinion. I'm all for slight tweaks of photos, but I think processing to that extent just ruins the image entirely. I think the composition of the original shot is great; the leaning building detracts nothing away from this. The river could have done with being straightened up, but that should be done with the camera as if it is done artificially it wrecks all the good parts about the photograph.

Red face Corrections to reduced/resized images

Quote Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post
    Is it just me or does the shot of the bridge above look considerably better with no processing? Yeah the building might lean a little, but that's the way it is!! I can't see the point in straightening it up, particularly when the overall clarity of the picture suffers so awfully. The post production shot doesn't look real at all in my opinion. I'm all for slight tweaks of photos, but I think processing to that extent just ruins the image entirely. I think the composition of the original shot is great; the leaning building detracts nothing away from this. The river could have done with being straightened up, but that should be done with the camera as if it is done artificially it wrecks all the good parts about the photograph.
    Bob ...

You are absolutely correct.

The image had already been reduced to its "posted" size (640x398) ... making almost any positioning-type of alteration "chancy" at that point. You might say all the pixels are kind of "set" in stone. Changes of that nature require they be done with the original image at FULL size (3872 x 2592) ... that way there are plenty of pixels to allow for the proper pixel manipulations and the "jaggies" do not get ya! The image maintains its inherent sharpness. I did make mention of that fact when I posted the changes:

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Obviously, playing with an already "reduced" JPG image softens it and that is pretty obvious. Anyway ... just using the image and working it a little. Everyone has their own take on composition.
    A good lesson to be learned and perhaps just explaining the changes might have been a better method to this, but I felt actually demonstrating the possible corrections might be a direct way.

Frank owns this image ... and I am assuming that ONLY he has the original. It'd be his decision to correct and re-post it, if he were so inclined.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-23-2009 at 08:00 AM.

flickr & Sdi