Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Problems with the Adobe DNG converter

I have RAW files from my D90. When I mentioned that Photoshop Elements couldnt read the .nef file the D90 produces, someone suggested I use the Adobe DNG converter. I have tried to do that today on a number of files, and I get the following error message:

'There was an error parsing the file.'

Not sure what is going on. 2 possibilities:

1. I use PSE to import the .nef files onto my HDD. Just thought it was a direct copy from the camera, but maybe not.

2. I have some Nero program on my computer which assigns all the .nef files to be associated with and perceived in windows explorer as Nero Encrypted Files. They arent that of course, its just looking at the .nef extension. I tried to change it to something else with right click show properties, but didnt really know what to change it to.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Thronsen; 04-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Ok, nevermind. Managed to sort it out. Seemed my version of the converter was too old to do anything with the oh so modern D90 .nefs.

Thats ok, Nero was asking to be uninstalled anyway.

When in doubt the first thing to do is always to make sure that you have the latest versions of any software you are using.

Yeah, I usually do. I just saw that stupid Nero Encrypted File nonsense and assumed that was the problem. Annoyingly I dont recall giving Nero permission to go to the bathroom let alone change my extensions, but such is life with free downloads.

And as long as Im whining, Im a bit pissed off at PSE as well. Ive been checking whether there was an update to PSE7 pretty much every day, via the onboard update command, looking for d90 .nef compatibility. Nada. Then I go to the Adobe site and find that they have had a plug in there for a few months. Would have thought compatibility would be more of an upgrade then a hunt and find plug in. Oh well.

Those guys with darkrooms and dangerous chemicals had it easy!
    Last edited by Thronsen; 04-12-2009 at 12:57 AM.

I can see the annoying side but if every software manufacturer issued a .x update every time a camera was introduced people would be whining about having to update virtually every day.

Thronsen, I got tired of using Nero a while back, I'm now using Ashampoo Burning Studio 8, No fuss no mess.

Yeah Kiwi, those darn people you can never satisfy them. lol
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%