Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Wink SanDisk Ultra vs. Extreme

I'm wonder with recently released pocket digicams if there is any real advantage in using the "Extreme" version vs. the "Ultra" version of SD cards. Most of my cards are of the Ultra series and they work fine.

The only difference is the read/write speed of the cards. Most cameras can't take advantage of the fastest memory cards so there's no compelling reason to buy them.

I generally buy less expensive brand memory card where the price difference between Class 4 and Class 6 is so small that there's no point not buying the faster cards, but your camera won't be able to use the extra speed.

There are some real world tests, by camera, here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

David, when you say most cameras, what sort of level are the ones that do? I did see that the D90 (quasi entry level SLR) seemed to be able to take advantage of the extra speed. I have also read reviews where people rave about the faster cards, they can get an extra shot or 2 off because their buffer clears before they are done spraying and praying.

Though I have no real world experience with the faster cards, still using my old memory card from a couple years back.

BTW Dark Cobra check out bhphoto. Unless its some huge typo, they are offering some huge rebate for San Disk cards (like $20-30+ per card).

WoW !!! Thanks for the tip Thronsen, I'll check that out for sure.

The OP stated "pocket digicams" so I wasn't going to touch on DSLRs. I don't have any real experience with modern DSLRs so I'll let someone else handle that one.

These are the cards I've been using of late. Actually, when I bought them around Christmas they were cheaper.

Thanks David for the reference to those cards as well. I'm not familiar with that brand but those prices are excellent and if you've had good luck with them, then at those prices I'll pick a few of those up as well for sure.