Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vivitar makes a 85mm F1.4 MF lens for all mounts and it seems to be producing some amazing shots.
    too bad it is MF only but it is around $350.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I have developed different feelings on glass selection since switching to Canon. I don't know why I see things so differently, I guess it is just having a different perspective.

I think much higher of that CZ 16-80 than I used to. I think with the A700 you can bump the ISO by a stop or 1.5, and make up the speed difference vs the Tamron. And it is probably worth it for that range. A lot of people at dynaxdigital.com have the CZ16-80, and most love it. Yes it is expensive for the build quality. But most say it is tack sharp wide open, with great color, and a perfect range. Combine that with another stop of light out of the better ISO capabilities of the A700, seems like quite a winner.

So, I dunno. The Tamron also seems great, and it's cheaper. But I shoot people a lot between 50-80, and it sounds like the Tamron isn't really super sharp wide-open, so you kinda get the same speed if you want it to be tack sharp.

My feelings now are that you are better with the 16-80 + a few fast primes. The 24/2.8 and 50/1.4 are supposed to be excellent. Sadly there isn't much available in Sony past the 50 without spending big bucks. However I don't think the 50/1.4 will get you $300 in results better than the 50/1.7 if you have a good copy.

As for the G, it seems like a great buy, but maybe get a faster telephoto to go with your beercan instead. Keep the beercan when you want something smaller/lighter and don't need to speed, but get the Tamron or Sigma f/2.8 70-200 when you do. Then throw in a teleconverter for times you need something longer. The 2.8 with a 1.4x is going to be about the same focal length and speed as the long end of the G.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Cool I suggest that this advice needs some research ...

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    ...but get the Tamron or Sigma f/2.8 70-200 when you do. Then throw in a teleconverter for times you need something longer. The 2.8 with a 1.4x is going to be about the same focal length and speed as the long end of the G.
    Teleconverters have a drawback that really can be quite annoying ... and that is that they really slow down the autofocus on the lens. It is quite dramatic ... to the tune of 2-3x slower response. On the TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di ... it is just a focus killer, in low light. Honest to goodness, do not recommend this kind of choice. If you are going to recommend anything, you be better off with the "real" TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5.-6.3 Di LD lens. Experience has shown that you would 'normally' use a T/C as choice on a fixed telephoto lens, not a zoom.

You need to do some side-by-sides between the T/C-enhanced zooms and a "real" lens for the focal length. It will quickly improve your understanding of such things. I mean to say that I do understand your conclusion, but it is flawed. Check it out in the real world and you will see. I do not carry the 200-500 with me because I enjoy the extra weight (43 oz plus case), just the better RESULTS.

Look, I'll be honest with you guys, because there is no money in this and it is for the love of the artform. If you want to "stack glass" in order to get a shot, go right ahead. The bottom line in all of this is "It's YOUR image." All I can tell you is that there are some serious drawbacks when you do that and you begin to get people (viewers) asking you questions like:
    • "How come it looks out of focus?"
    • "Is that the best that lens can do?" (Imagine someione asking you this of your 70-200mm f/2.8, one of the sharpest quills for your pen )
    • "Does it always get fuzzy at the long end like that?"
    • "What focal length was that taken at?"
    • "You really aren't going to try and print that, are you?"

Or how about that real bell ringer, the one you say to yourself: "Darn it all, I cannot get an AF lock!" or "My goodness, this is slow!" (or words to that effect )

I have been in these places and it is not much fun. I look to seek the most cost effective and realistic solution I can find. Getting a "real" LONG lens is the most satisfying and upwardly appealing choice ... any thing less is ... well, a LOT less, both in image quality and performance. The TAMRON 200-500 is a cost-effective solution at around $800. It gets out there and gets the shot. No, you cannot add a T/C and get out there further, as it is not designed to be extended. You simply lose your "infinity focus" and with THIS lens ... that is probably the most important thing of all. Heck, M.F.D. for this lens is 10-feet. Yes, use it outdoors.

I have, all through this forum, demonstrated what happens when you add simple filters to the ends of the lenses ... and now, here we are discussing a lens sandwich! It rarely, if ever, is any kind of improvement. Personally, I cannot stomach the loss if I can avoid it.

Last edited by DonSchap; 04-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

so I got the G only for now. Will post some pr0n when I get home!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Congrats, be sure to update that sig! I hope you put it to good use on some wildlife (or I suppose even some portraits).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

the ZA 16-80mm was up there with the rest of them but in the end of the day it is a DT lens and i tend to only buy something that would hold a good resale value down the road and i don't think DT lenses would hold their value as well as FF lenses.
    they didn't have a Tammy in the Sony mount in stock at that location so i couldn't test it.
    the 85mm F1.4 was very tempting but i'll have to make money with this hobby before i can think of throwing 1k for a lens at this point.
    i'm gonna test the G indoors tomorrow at a pre-prom fashion show at my cousin's school.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I still don''t know what I need/wat to buy next LOL! Elisha you may want to look at the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 to save some more cash towards your 'big gun' it only takes a little effort to find one in near mint cond. i keep checking on 'beercans ' on ebay just watching the price trends, I am trying to not buy one just becuase of the hype and legend of THE Minolta lens LOL whatever that means.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

crap Sean if i had known, i would have offered you my Beercan. i sold it last week for $170 USD. it's now in California.
    as much as i liked the lens and wanted to own a piece of the legend.....it had tonnes of CA and without a focus limiter, the focusing can be slow.
    the G has a 3m- infinity limiter which makes it quick to focus beyond 3m but the beercan would search the whole range which makes it tough for moving subjects.
    but on the bright side, the colours and bokeh was lovely!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Don't sweat it Elisha I keep watching for a mint lens at a killer sweet price, otherwise I don't go after it LOL Like I said I think it's just having a piece of history instead of a need! that's money I can direct towards something I could really use or need. The sun is out it is going to be plenty warm this weekend, I hope to head to the woods and swamp with the big glass and try some of that there wildlife stuff, of course there is baseball / softball tonight!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Don't sweat it Elisha I keep watching for a mint lens at a killer sweet price, otherwise I don't go after it LOL Like I said I think it's just having a piece of history instead of a need! that's money I can direct towards something I could really use or need. The sun is out it is going to be plenty warm this weekend, I hope to head to the woods and swamp with the big glass and try some of that there wildlife stuff, of course there is baseball / softball tonight!
    Why do you want a beercan? Between the 70-200mm and the other zooms you have, you've pretty much got things covered. Maybe you should get an HVL-F42AM? You've always wanted/needed a flash.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II