Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Considering some lens possibilities

So I'm thinking of a shuffle.

I normally use 2 places for pricematching and 1 just hiked it's prices a little. And I'm sure the other will catch on soon as well.
    So here's what I am considering:

Sony 70-300mm G SSM
    Sony ZA 16-80mm
    Sony 50mm F1.4

The prime is not of a priority at the moment cause it is fairly cheap as it is but I can get the G for less than $800 CDN and the Zeiss for less than $700 CDN at the moment as long as they don't catch up with the SonyStyle prices soon.

I was also thinking of the Tamron and Sigma possibilities.
    Tamron has to be sent to the U.S. for servicing which sucks. The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro I want is not available in my city so I'll have to go to Toronto to buy it. But the only place there that carries it will have to order it in.

Any recommendations are appreciated!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Hmmm, my favorite subject

They lenses are really different and depend on what you want to use them for. For your lineup, I would have to consider the CZ 16-80mm or Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8.

I've heard good and bad things about the CZ lately (more bad then good). It seems people gripe about the build quality and lens creep of the CZ and how it's just not on par with the other zeiss lenses. I'm really not sure what to think, except I personally wouldn't consider the lens.

The Tamron on the other hand, is quite a bargain and actually outresolves the CZ (see photozone).

People like the color of the CZ a bit better, but even that is adjustable. There's also the range difference (again, depending on what you need and can move with your feet to achieve the same results).

How much is the Tamron there? It seems like it would be about half the price, in which case, I would get it instead. In fact, I chose the tamron over the CZ to save up for a better lens.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

the Tamron can be had for under $500 CDN.
    only problem with Tamron is that it would have to be sent out of the country for warranty purposes.

the CZ has an awesome range and it is CZ. but it is also a DT only lens which sucks.
    I may just end up getting the 50mm F1.4 and the G.

I really want the G for outdoor shots especially at the park and zoo. but more so cause i can get it for cheaper than market value for a limited time only.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I wouldn't anticipate you having to warranty it after you initially get it and look it over (can always exchange for a new one if you get it locally or whatever) Well, don would advise you ship it and get it fixed. The warranty though allows 6 years, Sony only 2 in Canada so that's an extra 4 years, should anything happened, you could get it fixed.

Since you mentioned outdoors, the G might be a good fit for a zoo and yes, it's also a full frame lens. If you get the G, you can sell the beercan to help pay for it.... Is the extra 90mm worth it to you? IQ will be better, CA will be reduced, and AF will be faster/silent. (All benefits, but is it worth the cost?).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

lol i always buy things i don't need and find uses for it later.
    that's just me.
    and i'm a sucker for a deal.
    Sigma's newer lenses are 10 year Canadian warranty. and the service center is in the same province.
    the only thing about the Tamron is the range.
    I actually tested the CZ a while back in the Sony Store. it was actually pretty good.
    but i think there is a bunch of bad batches out there as well.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Cool Just for the sake of argument ...

If the lens is "GOOD" out-of-the-box ... it is exceptionally rare that TAMRONs go bad. If you take care of your gear (lens case for each and every lens), I doubt the warranty will see ANY use at all. Still, it is a marvelous fall back if something does go wrong.

As you are probably aware, I have had all my lenses inspected and "adjusted" when needed, within a week of when I purchased them (except for that darn SIGMA 10-20 ... that took me almost a year to send off to have it done. I needed the ultra-wide range many times over the past year and sure would have been a lot happier having it "GOOD" → O-O-T-B. I had no alternative lens options ... so I just tolerated it until I could reasonably afford the time off <over Christmas> to let it go.) There is no point in shooting through bad glass, especially after you finally ponied up the money and bought the darn thing. Make sure it works. Hey, it is your investment in your craft. Just be prepared for a 3-week turnaround delay with the manufacturer's repair depot, should it come to that.

I still, after all this time of being able to afford the CZ 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 DT, do not feel it would offer me that much of a benefit over the TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 or 28-75 f/2.8. I have shot them all, side-by-side and I probably will never buy one, especially since it is limited to being a "DT" lens. I would rather use that money to buy the real upgrade of the CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 and CZ 24-70mm f/2.8, as directly usable on the A900, when that time should come. Personally ... that looks a little distant at this time.

The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM is always a good choice for outdoor use. I would have little to no use for it, indoors. It is significantly lighter than lugging around its big brother, the 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM. If you don't mind the weight, though .. the 70-400 might be the better idea. That extra 100mm of reach is really nice to have. Just ask Sean.

The 50mm f/1.4 ... always a winner in everyone's bag o' glass! It instantly can put you in better shape, indoors, when the lighting is dicey. No zoom can give you such aperture.

Like I said ... it's an arguable point of view ... based on some exercise and experience.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-09-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

ok so today is D-day. too bad i don't have the extra cash for the 24-70mm F2.8.
    gonna pick of the hopefully 2 lenses today!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Good Luck and we'll see, eh?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol i want the 70-300G but not sure if i would need it. i barely used the Beercan so it is gonna be hard to justify.
    i'll mount the Tammy 28-75mm and see what i think when i go to the shop.
    too bad the 85mm and 135mm are way too expensive.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

The CZ 85mm f/1.4 is a great lens ... I tend to believe you would probably use it a lot more often than the CZ 135mm f/1.8, so I would go that way first. Having used the 135mm ... it is troublesome indoors, as it is effectively what 200mm would be on a full frame. That's pretty tight.

If I had the extra coin, I would pick up the CZ 85mm f/1.4 simply for brilliance and focusing speed over the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di I currently use. It may not be MACRO, but whatever ... it is fast as heck!.

Again, best of luck

flickr & Sdi