Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lightbulb I like 3 cameras, what do you think? Thank you!

Hi,

I am researching a new camera for a few upcoming trips. I need something compact as I will be rock scrambling/hiking/biking - capturing some short videos of snowboarding occasionally (but i primarily use my helmet cam for that).

I have selected 3 cameras that I am very interested in and need help deciphering which is the best one for me.

I place importance on:
    1. Size of camera, slim body, not bulky
    2. Resolution, at least 10mp
    3. Zoom - I would like at least 7x zoom
    4. HD, 720 p video recording... I like taping stuff. (See my bike ride below)

I have narrowed my selection down to:
    1. Samsung HZ15W
    2. Canon SX200 IS
    3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ6

I listed them in order of what I think I want. Does anyone have any insight or experience with these types of models? Anyone have hands on experience or familiar with the size? quality?

A deterrent for me for the Samsung and Panasonic is that I never had that brand before. But the Canon, I don't think I like how the flash pops out. i am afraid I will crush it or break it off. I'm an aggressive 26yr with clumsy fingers!

If you have any advice I would GREATLY appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance,
    -John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVU1aO2V54

I'd spring for the TZ7 to get the HD video and bigger, better LCD. But of the three I like the Panasonic. The Canon is a good camera, and if you want to use manual controls it would be the choice. But the TZ6/7 also allows optical zoom in video mode, and that pretty much would seal the deal for me.

Post Thanks David

I will look more into the t27. I know the samsung does not come out till May... Any insight on the brand as a whole, or what to expect in the camera?

One the site it does not say it will have optical zoom during video. What do you think?

I don't know much about Samsung. There's at least one active participant here who uses a Samsung and likes it quite a bit. I doubt it has optical zoom during video or they would have mentioned it.

Read the reviews on the TZ6/7. It's the best camera in this category right now.