Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
Sounds like a pretty ideal setup. Having 16mm on FF and 400mm on APS-C is such a great possibility. Here's some devil's advocate food for thought though.

I'd say in the short term you could get the 17-35 f/2.8-4 and the Sony 70-300G. They are about a 1/4 of the price, and offer a lot of the quality. You and I have never even had an UWA, so I doubt we would miss another stop of light, when you're already getting into the 24-70's range, and if you are selling your 75-300, you probably can get away with not having 400 for a while.

Other than that, the layout is hard to beat. Might be nice to add something like the CZ-135, or the CS 16-80 as a walkaround for the APS-C. Since moving to Canon, I now have access to a lot of lenses I wished I had on Sony, but Canon doesn't have something of the quality, range, and price of that 16-80. Closest we have is a 17-85 4-5.6 which isn't known for great quality, and is obviously quite a bit slower.

I think you might be able to do something different on the flash. The 42 would be nice for travel. It's always good to have an on-camera tilt, swivel TTL flash for quick and dirty. However for the price of a couple of 42AMs, you can buy pocket wizards and Vivtar 385's instead. However, the Minolta wireless flash seems to be the best, and in most situations works as well as the pocket wizards.

Also I'd add the CZ 135. Good sports lens on APS-C and good portrait lens on FF.
I don't really want to buy any more lenses that I will end up upgrading, perhaps with the exception of an UWA 10mm zoom that I may get just for a trip and sell it afterwards. I've considered the 70-300mm in the mean time, but would rather just save up and get what I want and have something nice, although I could've gotten one for really cheap ~$550.

With 16-35mm on the FF and 24-70mm on APS-C, I have the 16-105mm range covered between the two cameras.

Thanks for the tip about PW, I have no experience with strobing and my extent of PW is that it's just a radio wireless trigger?