Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: canon focus

Unhappy canon focus

my g6 has a problem focusing in low light. the odd thing is, the focus appears good. then i push the button down half way, the autofocus light comes on, and

....the image goes out of focus and i get a blurry picture

has anyone else had this problem?

has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah everyone that owns a G6.
    John

Where do you first see the OOF image, on the LCD or when you DL to a computer? Does it happen with the flash on or off?

If you are shooting in low light, you have the autofocus technology of the camera working against you. Canon cameras use passive autofocus, which requires the subject to have an area of reasonable contrast for the AF to lock. Some Sony cameras, on the other hand, have active autofucus which uses an infrared beam to paint the target, then measures the reflection. This technology tends to me a little more accurate in low light (and see through clothes when used in broad daylight...)

If you have your flash turned off, however, it is likely that your shutter speed is not fast enough to compensate for your shaking hands on any camera...not just the G6.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Check the TV speed

Try to check the information on all those blurry images that you got with low light... If the Speed is less than 1/50, (if you are not using the zoom, with the zoom on the speed need to be higher than 1/50) you have found the problem. . Aperture of the lens (Av) and Iso speed can help but the higher the ISO speed the more noise will be in the picture... Other alternatives are: use a tripod or use flash. Remember is not the camera, you will get the same results with any camera and same settings...

Try manual focus

G6 out of fucus matter in low light environment frustrate me too. Frequently, AiAF focus on subject in background instead of subject in foreground. My solution is changing focus mode to manual focus.

I uploaded my photos, Coca-Cola World Carnival Bangkok 2005, at http://pairojvej.fotopic.net

You could see some "out of focus" photos comparing to manual focus photos there.

Nevertheless, I love G6 anyway.