Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Disappointed with the A510

I went to Best Buy again to play around with the display model of the new PowerShot A510. Unfortunately, the shutter lag time seems much greater than either the A75, which it is supposed to replace, or the A85. Even with the EVF "replay" of the picture turned off (sorry don't know the correct term for this) and the resolution dropped to the second-to-lowest setting, it seemed to take forever until the camera was ready to take another photo. And the 10 FPS movie mode is as jerky as you'd expect. I'm not a serious photographer so I couldn't really judge photo quality, but the two items above are deal-breakers for me. I won't be buying this camera. Unless Jeff, when he is able to do his review,tells me I just had the settings set for poor performance.

Geee Thats sad I was planning on buying this camera
    Hope Jeff get to do review this month
    Sunny

Unhappy :(

yeah me too.......i hope that you are wrong in some kind of way.....:'(

Quote Originally Posted by EAP
    I went to Best Buy again to play around with the display model of the new PowerShot A510. Unfortunately, the shutter lag time seems much greater than either the A75, which it is supposed to replace, or the A85. Even with the EVF "replay" of the picture turned off (sorry don't know the correct term for this) and the resolution dropped to the second-to-lowest setting, it seemed to take forever until the camera was ready to take another photo. And the 10 FPS movie mode is as jerky as you'd expect. I'm not a serious photographer so I couldn't really judge photo quality, but the two items above are deal-breakers for me. I won't be buying this camera. Unless Jeff, when he is able to do his review,tells me I just had the settings set for poor performance.
    Considering that Canon has used their Digic processor in the A510, that is pretty strange. Maybe I'll have time at lunch to run over to Best Buy and check it out.

I think you are looking for the term "LCD preview" function. EVF is Electronic View Finder found on many mid to high end ultra-zoom cameras. But you were close.

UPDATE:

I played with the display model of the A510 over at the local BB. For $199 it is certainly the equal of the A75, and actually appears to be the same speed. Looks like Canon has taken the A75 and made it better (fewer batteries, more zoom, SD card). I couldn't test the anti red-eye, so will have to go back with an SD card for further testing.

It will be interresting to get Jeffs take.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 02-02-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I agree on all counts. I hope it's just that I didn't know how to adjust things right. I would love to buy this camera also. Or the new 4MP A520 that was just announced.

I noticed this too, it reminds me of why I really disliked the Nikon 4100 (and presumably the 3200), it dumps the screen while it is charging the flash which is really annoying. I really hope there is a work around for this, as Best Buy has a 15% restocking fee. Possibly due to only 2 AAs?

I just went to the store and tried the camera again; here's what I found. If you don't have the flash on, the speed is equal to that of the A95, a camera I use at work and am familiar with. But if you have the flash on, either in automatic or manual mode, there is about an 8-second delay before the camera is ready to take the next photo. I played with this camera for quite awhile, trying all sorts of different settings and modes, and this problem persisted. I then took some photos with the A95 to compare, and this confirmed that there is a quite noticeable difference in camera performance with the flash on.

IMHO, I will waiting for next models with DIGIC II. Shutter lag and 30-sec video limit is the big problem with DIGIC processor comparing to other brands. I expect Canon would change to DIGIC II recently.

I use PowerShot G6. The picture quality is superb comparing to my friends Sony P-150 and V3 BUT the performance (shutter lag and 30-sec video limit) is very noticable. Anyway, I love my G6.

If you concern about picture quality, I think Canon does a good job for most of their products.

I am waiting for the new G series with DIGIC II, may be G7 (8.0M), who knows.

http://pairojvej.fotopic.net

With flash on there will always be more wait time between shots as the capacitor needs to charge up. Some camera need more than others depending on the size of the capacitor. Also in dim indoor lighting the shutter lag you are experiencing would most likely be caused partly by slow autofocus. Canons have always been a bit slow in low light focusing. Have you tried testing shutter lag with fllash off and prefocusing?

Went to the Canon Bebit page to check out the samples. The A510s picture quality is really impressive for a 3.2mp. At actual pixel view its seems to be much better than A70 or S1IS. Sharpness is right up there with S45, A80, G5 and the colors looks very clear as well. Really impress with waht they can do with such a low price product. Heres the link:http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa510/index-e.html

The G6 is already a very snappy camera. Nobody can touch Sony in terms of performance, so that wasn't a completely fair comparison. 1.5 second shot to shot time and 2-3 second RAW write time isn't good enough for you?