Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb magnifying eyecup = awesome.

With the economy how it is and all, hobby budget indulgences have been forced down from thinking "hmmm, FA 77mm or DA★ 50-135mm" to "what's under fifty bucks?" So, with the itch to buy somethin' camera related, I picked up the O-ME53 magnifying viewfinder.

After using it for a few days, I have to say wow this is a must-have, especially for thirty-five bucks. I really wish I had purchased it before. The 1.2 magnification doesn't seem that amazing, but suddenly my ability to tell what's in focus and what's out of focus is improved by a lot more than 20%. It feels like double, in fact.

The only caveat is: it's no good if you shoot wearing glasses. I normally wear contacts, and with my eye right to the viewfinder, the vignetting is insignificant. I have to be a bit more careful about where exactly I put my eye, but it's easy to get the hang of it. However, when I tried with my glasses on, I discovered that the edges of the frame are significantly obscured, to the point where the status line is invisible.

So the bottom line is: if you have a Pentax dSLR and don't wear glasses, this is a must-buy. If you do, consider getting contact lenses.

I don't think Canon currently makes anything like this, but Nikon does, and since it looks almost identical I assume the above comments apply to y'all as well.
    Looking to buy a Pentax flash? Check out my Definitive Guide to Pentax P-TTL Flash Options.

Same goes for Olympus too. I use one all the time.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

!

I'd like to get a contact made for my prescription and just stick it in the plastic holder for my very own custom viewfinder

That'd actually be nice I know my camera does -3 +3, but thats not enough and its not the best.

Im pretty sure anyone could buy one from pentax/nikon/okympus and just take out the little glass and stick it in a canon viewfinder. I doubt that they would be different.

Thanks for posting your findings.
    I lost the eyecup of my camera years ago, so I always shoot without an eyecup. If I'll buy a new one I will definitly consider one that magnifies.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

I have also considered an eyecup magnifying piece. When I looked at the Olympus one on Amazon I was surprised about how many reviews were by Canon users, does Canon really not make them? I am still on the fence about whether I would find it useful for my purposes, much as I would like a larger viewfinder.

Interesting... Now I want one, that apparently Canon doesn't make.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

What about Sony? I bet they don't have one, so Sony will make a Sony only one at 3 times the price arghh! but interesting, I wear contacts and they are 'zoned' kind of like bi focals, the right eye is my close vision and my left is for my distance vision, a recent change in my RX. and I have found it difficult to see clearly in my viewfinder.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Raven I was in two minds as well because several reviews I saw people complained about the Oly one falling off/ getting in the way. It seemed like the Pentax or Panasonic ones were better on the net. I bought the Oly one in the end at B&H, didn't try the others out though but they apparently both fit. Anyway mine has never been off the camera since I bought it, seems like a good fit & hasn't fallen off. Magnification isn't huge so don't expect miracles but I think it was worth the $35 I paid for it.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Alright, I'll look into the other (Pentax and Panasonic?) brands too. My budget is more limited recently, but I may have enough change left over to get such a thing this week. My eyepiece has been falling off pretty easily recently anyhow, after I removed it a couple times to clean it.

I've been looking into some manual focus Hexanon lenses for fun... this might just be the thing.