Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DSLR as a gift for my sister

Budget
    450 dollars

Size
    DSLR

Features
    Don't Care much

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Story:
    I want to give a DSLR to my sister as a birthday present. My other sister who is quite rich has one of the high end DSLR's and since she bought that my other sister (who like me is not that rich) wanted one. So this time around I have pooled in some money with my parents to get her one. She is no photography buff but just wants a good DSLR to take pictures of her children and her painters(yes she is an artist).

I don't know anything about DSLR's but i have noticed that there are many things that go into DSLR selection such as features, lens etc. I don't know about that and I don't care much.

So i am looking upto you guys to guide me in the right direction. Budget is my biggest constraint. So recommend me a autofocus capable camera,lens and flash. I would also be thankful if you can point me to bargain online deal.

Thanks

For what you can afford to pay, your options are limited. Amazon.com has a very good deal on a Nikon D40 with an 18-55mm zoom lens for $409. Pick up a 1 or 2 gb memory card at your local computer store for another $10 and you're all set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KJQ1DG
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

anyother suggestion

Does d60 linked has autofocus. Are there any other options available.

No one linked a D60, but both the D40 and the D60 autofocus with AF-S lenses.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by hussain View Post
    yep the a200 has the AF built in.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

So i have done some research so my options are three:

Sony s200
    Nikon D40
    Olympus 420

So which one should i by and what's is the difference in features between these three.

Thankyou for you help people

Olympus E-420:
    You sister may like the weight and shape of this camera more, it is the lightest and probably the best looking (in my opinion at least, but probably from a neutral standpoint as well). Some people say the lack of grip makes it hard to handle Olympus's largest lenses. If she was getting serious this one offers much more in the way of control and customization than the D40 or A200. It has by far the best kit lens of the three you mentioned. It has liveview, the others do not. The downsides are no Image Stabilization (vs. A200), and longer focus hunting in low light, especially with the flash on.

Sony A200:
    Image stabilization available on all lenses. Autofocus is faster than the Olympus in low light. More control options than the D40, less than Olympus. Lens has longest zoom range of the three, but poor quality. Largest and heaviest of these, or "best grip" depending on user. Worst low light noise of the three.

Nikon D40:
    Fast focus in low light focus vs. Olympus, and best image quality in low light of the three. Easy to find accessories/parts/advice because everyone and their mama has one. Otherwise this camera has not much going for it, it was introduced in 2006 (vs. 2008 for the other two) and is starting to show it's age. Small LCD screen, lack of control and customization, no dust reduction, liveview, etc. The lens is of poor quality, but at the same time it lacks the additional zoom range of the Sony. You might consider the D60 instead, if at all possible, to get a better lens, Vibration Reduction, larger LCD, dust reduction, etc.

If there is no compelling reason for it to be a surprise, you might have your sister handle them all and choose the one that feels best in hers hands if you can find a store with all three.

i would buy whatever brand your other sister already bought, just a lower model. if she has a canon and you buy nikon, you cant share any accesories and lens'.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr