Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focus Issues

'Rooz' ... would it help to tell you that I don't have to MICRO-ADJUST my current lenses? I mean they are all "tuned." I kind of looked into that. If I have to do it now, it's because the darn camera is messed up. There is a base QC you are allowing the lens manufacturers to get away with ... with this ... this "feature!"

Well, not this guy. Make the lens properly so we do not need to MICRO-ADJUST. Good Lord!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-25-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    'Rooz' ... would it help to tell you that I don't have to MICRO-ADJUST my current lenses? I mean they are all "tuned." I kind of looked into that. If I have to do it now, it's because the darn camera is messed up. There is a base QC you are allowing the lens manufacturers to get away with ... with this ... this "feature!"

Well, not this guy. Make the lens properly so we do not need to MICRO-ADJUST. Good Lord!
    base QC ? you had lens' sent back for adjustment did you not ? my 300/4 is pretty old and as a big tele i biought it with some expectation it may be a little out from a knock or 2 over the years. its not a problem with micro adjust. you're arguing aganist something based on pure bloody minded stubborn-ness. it CANT be argued against. AT ALL.

lets give a working example should we ? you're shooting in your studio and you notice lens A is a few mm out...

scenario 1 with a sony a700, (no micro adjust):
    put up with it

scenario 2 with a sony a700, (no micro adjust):
    step 1. curse loudly
    step 2: call repairer
    step 3: book it in for repair
    step 4: pack it as best you can to make sure theres no damage
    step 5: drive to the post office and fork out a 20 to get it sent
    step 6: lens is out of action for 2 weeks
    step 7: call the repairer after 2 weeks "sorry, we're really busy, its another week"
    step 8: curse loudly
    step 9: get the mail, lens is ready for pick up
    step10: open the package and find an $80 bill and your lens. you PRAY that they had the decency to pack it right
    step 11: put lens back on camera and PRAY they have adjusted it right
    step 12: lens is still screwed: go back to step 1.
    step13: lens is ok: thank God for that.

total time: 3-4 weeks
    total cost: $100

scenario 3 with a nikon d300:
    step 1: select micro adjust from the menu
    step2: adjust lens
    step 3: continue shooting.

total time: 10 minutes
    total cost: $0

now...YOU may choose to enjoy the scanarios as they play out with the a700 cos in your travels you may come across someone looking to buy a dslr so you get an opportunity to advise them on their decision...but me ? hell, i;d prefer to keep my money, not waste my time, not have to do without my glass and take the risks of postage and someone else getting the job done right and just keep shooting !

the funny thing about all this is that IF i wanted to send it away to have it repaired, i still have that choice. you on the other hand dont have a choice at all.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-25-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb DIY Quality Adjustments

Sure ... actually, the lens manufacturers should be more than happy to offer this "SLOP CORRECTION" on every camera made from now on. For me, SIGMA could NOT make a single lens I purchased without screwing up the focus. You got it ... Quality Control and alignment can just become a thing of the past ... let the customers do it at home. What's next on the menu, 'Rooz' ... "grind your own element" kits?

A box full of lens parts and you can assemble the darn thing yourself, then have the "Zeiss" inspector make a housecall for analysis of your work, to get the "official" stamp of approval!

Name:  zeiss-LOGO-DCRP.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  21.1 KB

What a wonderful future you've laid out for us. Perhaps we can do our own SENSOR upgrades to the camera's, too. It'll be just like changing film, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-25-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Canikon may well be pushing microadjust as a USP now but the reason why they introduced it in the first place was because thousands of lenses were being returned to service centers. Most of the lenses being returned were within spec so the Manufacturers had to ask users to return both Lens and Camera for adjustment as a pair. This takes up an enormous amount of technician time so it's more efficient for the Manufactures to inlude a microfocus adjust function in the camera and have users do the work for them for free!

Sure ... actually, the lens manufacturers should be more than happy to offer this "SLOP CORRECTION" on every camera made from now on. For me, SIGMA could NOT make a single lens I purchased without screwing up the focus. You got it ... Quality Control and alignment can just become a thing of the past ... let the customers do it at home. What's next on the menu, 'Rooz' ... "grind your own element" kits?

A box full of lens parts and you can assemble the darn thing yourself, then have the "Zeiss" inspector make a housecall for analysis of your work, to get the "official" stamp of approval!

Name:  zeiss-LOGO-DCRP.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  21.1 KB

What a wonderful future you've laid out for us. Perhaps we can do our own SENSOR upgrades to the camera's, too. It'll be just like changing film, right?
    lol like i said Don, when sony introduce it, you will be telling everyone how great and convenient it is. dont blame me sony release half baked cameras missing these sorts of key features, i;m just the messenger my good man.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Angry Messenger issues ...

'Rooz' ... I'm still a bad guy for telling people to

"QUIT SHOOTING THROUGH CRAP GLASS!"

I don't even know how to address people supporting the utter abandonment of Quality Control!

flickr & Sdi

I don't even know how to address people supporting the utter abandonment of Quality Control!
    there is no way to address it, you and me and eveyone else is gonna have to roll with it. companies want more profits so everythings going to china, taiwan, korea and any other place that the big corporate giants are able to extort local labour forces at $2/hr.

wlecome to the global economy.
    flickr

Yikes guys, this just gets back to the AUTO ISO function.

It's a feature that may as well be included, why not? It can only help. People on their A900's have been adjusting the CZ 16-35mm to get better corner sharpness (don't quite understand exactly, but the way the lens is tuned, it's sort of an average of all points, or something or another).

Personally, it would be useful in the field and as a semi-permanent fix (considering Sony warranty is 1 year in the US. Obviously you still have the option to send it away, but sometimes you can't be bothered and need a quick fix.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Sony USA only offers 1 year?
    here it is 2 years.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Sony USA only offers 1 year?
    here it is 2 years.
    Yeah, Canada is nice. 1 is quite a shame for the high-end lenses.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II