Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

AF Lamp Is Killing Me

While shooting in the dark yesterday I noticed something about my D40 that up until this point I hadnt came across (mainly because I dont shoot in low light much). The AF Lamp only comes on when the center AF point is selected O_O. This means I'm SOL when in portrait orientation and unless I obtain focus with the center point then lock and recompose which usually doesnt end well for me. WTF Nikon... This makes absolutely no sense to me. Ive searched through the menu and through the manual and it appears theres no way of changing this. Higher model Nikons dont have this problem also do they?
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Quote Originally Posted by r3g View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense to me.
    It makes total sense and that is the only way it can work without adding considerably to the cost and complexity of the camera.
    The AF lamp points in a single direction in a relatively narrow band. It's aimed at the centre of the camera. How can it possibly know that you want to use the left side focus point or the top right focus point, or in the case of a D300 which of the 51 points?

Well in the case of the D40 the lamp covers enough area to be used by all 3 AF points so it wouldnt even have to be aimed differently to work. All it needs to do is light up when the shutter is pressed halfway, regardless of which AF point is selected.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Be thankful you even have an AF lamp. My $2100 (formerly $4000) 1D II doesn't have one at all. I have to mount a $400 Speedlite to get AF assistance...and I HAVE to use flash if I'm using the AF-assist. Unless I spend $200 on an ST-E2.
    Ouch.