Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck shots!

not really micro adjust but what about tweaking in the creative styles menu fine tune contrast saturation sharpness brightness and zone setting? there are lots of little adjustments and quirks in the A700 Elisha just keep playing around.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post

The 700 doesn't have micro adjust yet, it may do with v5 firmware but we're waiting in hopes and..
    I'll await with interest to hear your technical explanation of how the lens, rather than the AF system, causes B/F focus.
    rumour is that v5 will have micro adjustments. i may test my lenses in the shop with another body. but till then i will test some real world scenarios.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Testing your lenses with another body will only tell you if the other body has B/F issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    You gotta love that Rooz, nothing if not predictable. If it doesn't have Canon on it, it's no good.
    Ignore him, Elisha, short of "G" glass your lenses aren't half bad. In fact the 28-135mm is probably "G" quality.

The 700 doesn't have micro adjust yet, it may do with v5 firmware but we're waiting in hopes and..
    I'll await with interest to hear your technical explanation of how the lens, rather than the AF system, causes B/F focus.
    arent half bad is about right. look, if you guys want to sugarcoat everything cos you are in bed with a certain system then thats fine, your choice. the fact is that the glass Elisha has is not fantastic. for 2 reasons:

1. they arent the best at aquiring focus
    2. fully extended they are weak performers.

you can umm and ahhh and complain and piss and moan all you like Peek but thats just reality. if peoples expectations of older, cheap glass is that they will perform really well unsharpened then they need a reality check. there is a pretty good reason why some glass is cheap. there are VERY few optical bargains out there, VERY few indeed.

if it doesnt have micro adjust then thats unfortunate cos its very useful with older glass thats out.

whats my technical explanation of the fact that its probably the lens rather than the body ? well i dont have one except to say that if some lens' apper to be accurate in their focusing and others do not then the only variable in performance is the lens cos the focus system is constant. so it doesnt take a genius to figure out that the lens would be the one out. if elisha said every one of her lens' was BF then i would say the body may be a more likly culprit.

and needless to say that in the vast number of cases i have personally had or seen from others, it is the lens that is slightly out, not the AF system. add to this that all of my lens', every single one, has a differing degree of micro adjust. some are ever so slight, other older lens' like the 300/4 are significantly more.

if you think all i'm doing here is picking on your system then you have misunderstood my intent. i'm just as critical, if not much more so, of my OWN work then anyone elses. if i see something wrong i will point it out. if all you want is a bunch of cheerleading to say everythings fantastic, then so be it, God knows how any of you will learn or improve with that attitude though.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, you can micro adjust all you want ... but, if your lenses are off on your body ... they are going to be off on darn near every camera body. I have taken my lenses to the depot and spent the money to get them all fine-tuned ... and know that they will now mount on ANY SONY/Minolta body and work darn near perfect (or as much as could be expected).

Micro-adjust is a band-aid. Do it right, get the darn lens fixed and quit playing games.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, you can micro adjust all you want ... but, if your lenses are off on your body ... they are going to be off on darn near every camera body. I have taken my lenses to the depot and spent the money to get them all fine-tuned ... and know that they will now mount on ANY SONY/Minolta body and work darn near perfect (or as much as could be expected).

Micro-adjust is a band-aid. Do it right and quit playing games.
    i dont need to send anything anywhere OR spend a single cent to depend on people who, (by your own experience and admission), have no clue what they're doing. mine are razor sharp and perfectly in tune within 2 minutes and the flick of a switch.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Yeah, the people with micro adjust are pretty in love with that feature. Although for the a900 at least, it can only adjust one way for one lens. So if you only have BF/FF issue on a 70-200mm at 70mm, it's going to suck when you are at 200mm, not quite a one-size fits all solution. I think OLY has perfected it with their latest lineup with multi-point AF adjustments (looks almost too complicated to mess with) and I think multi length adjustments to solve the problem I posed above.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I still prefer a professional approach to resolving these issues ... having a full 90-days to return the lens if the problem is NOT fixed. I have yet to return a single one that has had this done. 100% satisfaction is hard to argue with.

Admittedly, I have been informed that there has been a lens that could not be fixed, but its cost was refunded ... and I find that even harder to argue with. At least I am not stuck with a piece of glass that I cannot use ... other than the "kit lens."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

[quote=DonSchap;363644]I still prefer a professional approach to resolving these issues ... having a full 90-days to return the lens if the problem is NOT fixed. I have yet to return a single one that has had this done. 100% satisfaction is hard to argue with. /quote]

BS. you just dont have a choice. why on EARTH would anyone choose to send their lens' away and pay money for it trusting that it may or may not resolve the issue when you can do it for free in your own home ?

i dont have anyone pulling my lens apart, no chance of dust or scratches from apprentices hands, no chance of lost in post, damage in post, lens downtime...need i go on ? its quite ridiculous to suggest that this is not a feature that is very important.
    flickr

Just pretty unavailable for most camera bodies, at this point.

flickr & Sdi