Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck shots!

Hybrid View

Duck shots!

i think i have a BF issue. used spot focus in AF-A and AF-S mode but still pics were a little soft. took many but only a few came out good.
    had to sharpen in IDC. may have overdone it however.

Last edited by Elisha; 03-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Well, if it's OOF no amount of sharpening will correct it. Looking at these, it doesn't look like there is any back/front focus issue and of course, it's a consistent problem that doesn't change from shot to shot.
    "Wide area" focus mode can cause OOF probs but as you were on "spot", that's not it.
    Small DOF is a possibility but these don't look close enough to cause an issue, unless I'm mistaken and you were within 10ft or so. (You could have gone to 1/250th at f8 for more DOF)
    Could you just have "missed" it.

glad you like it Peter, these were all significant crops. 50% or more on each.

it's hard to explain but i focused on the eyes of each duck and it did not look sharp on the LCD. it looked quite soft on the PC as well till i did some PP.

i took plenty of shots but these were the only ones i thought were acceptable.

i printed the focus chart and tested the focus, the 28-135 and the beercan seem to be pretty accurate but the 35-70 and the 50mm seem to have pretty bad BF.
    i did the test with the 3 batteries but could not come up with anything conclusive but the chart test was surprising.
    however i may have to redo them and make sure that the focus angle is 45 degress to the focus point. i was just guessing it was 45 degrees since my tripod didn't have any kind of indicator.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    i printed the focus chart and tested the focus, the 28-135 and the beercan seem to be pretty accurate but the 35-70 and the 50mm seem to have pretty bad BF.
    i did the test with the 3 batteries but could not come up with anything conclusive but the chart test was surprising.
    however i may have to redo them and make sure that the focus angle is 45 degress to the focus point. i was just guessing it was 45 degrees since my tripod didn't have any kind of indicator.
    It seems that Sony are slightly more conservative with in camera sharpening than Canon, but you can always alter the camera setting if you're not happy. Or you can sharpen afterwards anyway, but don't overdo it.

I know I've said this before, but B/F focus issues are invariably down to the camera AF system, not the lens. If the lens is out of adjustment, then it's always OOA.

You don't have to worry about being precise over the camera angle to the chart, but err on the shallower side.

the crop is pretty aggressive and the glass isnt very good.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

yeah the crop is pretty aggressive, i was at max zoom of 135mm on pretty much all shots as far as i know.

how can you tell if the glass is no good?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    how can you tell if the glass is no good?
    cos nothing in your sig is particularly good.
    BF is far more likely to be a lens issue. use the micro adjust on the a700.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    cos nothing in your sig is particularly good.
    BF is far more likely to be a lens issue. use the micro adjust on the a700.
    You gotta love that Rooz, nothing if not predictable. If it doesn't have Canon on it, it's no good.
    Ignore him, Elisha, short of "G" glass your lenses aren't half bad. In fact the 28-135mm is probably "G" quality.

The 700 doesn't have micro adjust yet, it may do with v5 firmware but we're waiting in hopes and..
    I'll await with interest to hear your technical explanation of how the lens, rather than the AF system, causes B/F focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post

The 700 doesn't have micro adjust yet, it may do with v5 firmware but we're waiting in hopes and..
    I'll await with interest to hear your technical explanation of how the lens, rather than the AF system, causes B/F focus.
    rumour is that v5 will have micro adjustments. i may test my lenses in the shop with another body. but till then i will test some real world scenarios.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    You gotta love that Rooz, nothing if not predictable. If it doesn't have Canon on it, it's no good.
    Ignore him, Elisha, short of "G" glass your lenses aren't half bad. In fact the 28-135mm is probably "G" quality.

arent half bad is about right. look, if you guys want to sugarcoat everything cos you are in bed with a certain system then thats fine, your choice. the fact is that the glass Elisha has is not fantastic. for 2 reasons:

1. they arent the best at aquiring focus
    2. fully extended they are weak performers.

you can umm and ahhh and complain and piss and moan all you like Peek but thats just reality. if peoples expectations of older, cheap glass is that they will perform really well unsharpened then they need a reality check. there is a pretty good reason why some glass is cheap. there are VERY few optical bargains out there, VERY few indeed.

if it doesnt have micro adjust then thats unfortunate cos its very useful with older glass thats out.

whats my technical explanation of the fact that its probably the lens rather than the body ? well i dont have one except to say that if some lens' apper to be accurate in their focusing and others do not then the only variable in performance is the lens cos the focus system is constant. so it doesnt take a genius to figure out that the lens would be the one out. if elisha said every one of her lens' was BF then i would say the body may be a more likly culprit.

and needless to say that in the vast number of cases i have personally had or seen from others, it is the lens that is slightly out, not the AF system. add to this that all of my lens', every single one, has a differing degree of micro adjust. some are ever so slight, other older lens' like the 300/4 are significantly more.

if you think all i'm doing here is picking on your system then you have misunderstood my intent. i'm just as critical, if not much more so, of my OWN work then anyone elses. if i see something wrong i will point it out. if all you want is a bunch of cheerleading to say everythings fantastic, then so be it, God knows how any of you will learn or improve with that attitude though.
    flickr