Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    thats the thing about using a bottle..it can be dialed in to a nice constant interval of drops

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    But only if the splash achieves the same height. I'm simply guessing that the additional energy needed to overcome surface tension in the higher viscosity liquid will result in a higher splash.

The formula for tracking velocity against distance is v=√(2gx) where v=velocity, g=gravitational constant and x=distance travelled.

Anyway applied to a water droplet it simply means that if the (rise and fall) of the drop is
    2" the exit and re-entry speed is 8 inches per sec. and for
    3" the exit and re-entry speed is 11.3 inches per sec.

This has a significant blurring effect at a shutter speed of 1/320 where the droplet may have moved up to 0.035 of an inch unless you catch it at the top and stationary.

That's why it's best to shoot in darkness using a flash. The flash duration can then be thought of as the shutter speed and can be as short as 1/30,000sec. I'm sure each flash unit is slightly different but, as a rule of thumb, you can take full power use as 1/1,000th sec falling to 1/20,000th at 1/32nd power (this doesn't apply to studio flash where flash duration is much longer).

The motor drive won't help either; the action is all over in 1/2sec and anyway, you don't want the vibration. In Manual Mode, prefocus, lock the shutter open and trigger the flash when you hear the droplet hit the water; you'll need patience and persistence to get it right. A chair and a glass of your favourite tipple will help.
    I have to get a good flash to do this. I only got the build in flash. Thanks for answer and it is worth a try. With my luck I need a chair and a bottle of my favourite drink before I get the ultimate picture.

you can also try sticking some air under the water to create bubbles...

sort of example here...this was using propane but you can see the gas bULGe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 03-16-2009 at 05:03 AM.

you dont need a good flash..pretty much any flash will do..you can get an old bauer flash cheap

Sonynut's right, $10 will buy a cheap flash on ebay. You're in manual mode so as long as it has variable power and a trigger it'll be fine.

Tonight is the night. Will let you know if it worked. Thanks again all.

you can also try long exp with flash in auto drive mode..set it for some kind of interval that the flash can keep up with...

with your drops set at a different interval eventually they will sync

I have made some more photos and this time with the flash. It looks a bit better to me. The focus is also better.
    Ok, fire away. What do you think?

There ya go...drip drip drip

Try dropping red food coloring/water..into milk