Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Red-Winged Blackbird

I finely got a good image of these red-winged backbirds. I have a hard time with these small balck birds.

Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Talking Bye bye, blackbird ...

You need remote control, Frank ... just kidding ... I'm still perfecting mine ... but, it is getting closer. Still might get 150-feet of reach in under $500, total.

The blackbird is contrast nightmare ... because of the depth of black involved. Cripes, you did well to get any at all in his feathers. I suppose you could try some select PP on him ... leaving the background untampered with.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

2nd is definitely better. The bird is better in focus, better exposed, although the post is well in focus (more so than the bird). The background is nice and smooth!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Join the club, Frank. I've yet to get a decent pic of a Blackbird, UK style that is.
    Problem is that my garden is south facing so the sun is always behind the bird which is so skittish I can't get to the "right" side of it, short of camping at the bottom of the garden.
    What I need is Don's remote shooter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question Close enough for a look?

Peter,

The heavier tripod robot head is sold right in your country. I plunked down the money, last night.

B. Hague & Co. Ltd. Mile End Road, Colwick, Nottingham, England. NG4. 2DW

Name:  Hague Mfr Map.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  396.3 KB

I don't know how close you are to these guys, but that would be a cool review, if you could wander over and get a first hand look at these things. Of course, you would still require the "USB Extender" to get your reach and the full simulation.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Peter,

I don't know how close you are to these guys, but that would be a cool review, if you could wander over and get a first hand look at these things. Of course, you would still require the "USB Extender" to get your reach and the full simulation.
    Not so far (130 miles) that it's an issue. I should give them a call.