Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got me an a700!

Got me an a700!

so i accidentally sold my a300.
    i wasn't really wanting to sell it but listed it on the local classified and within 24 hours it was picked up and cash changed hands yesterday.

felt a little lost all yesterday and almost bought a Nikon D90 with the 18-105VR for $1099 CDN.
    was also looking at the 50D but did not like the price of the basic kit.

so i called up the local Henry's and asked them if they would price match the a700 and they did. drove over, picked it up and came home and updated to v4.

looking good so far. will update with some pics later.
    on the way out to the farmers market now!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thumbs up Movin' on up ...

Need to change that signature, Elisha!

That sounds like a dandy move, overall, and you should a lot of fun with that puppy. I know I am.

Make sure you give remote control a try ... it is a feature exclusive the the A700/A900.

If the camera did not come with ver. 4, you may have to go online to get the current downloads of the ver 4 upgrade to the remote control and image processing software.

Have fun
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Way to go, Elisha.
    BTW, how are you getting on with the 28-136mm. Is it a good one or were you bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Way to go, Elisha.
    BTW, how are you getting on with the 28-136mm. Is it a good one or were you bit?
    it's a good one. slight scratch on front element but i knew that before i bought it. although i have not had much chance to use it indoors. will use it outdoors today.

test shots seem to be good and it is super sharp. heavy as hell though. MFD sucks but i knew that too.

@Don, the remote needs a software upgrade too?

btw i bought the Sony LCD protector as well. don't want to accidentally scratch the beautiful screen.

Don you would also be happy to know that the kit lens is gone as well. lol.

need a wide angle option eventually. maybe once the wife forgives me for spending too much money on a hobby!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Lens options ...

Consider the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) as your first option, and if the wife complains, point out to her that the SONY alternative, the SONY CZ 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 is a bit darker and costs nearly twice as much! Maybe that'll get the issue solved without losing your head. You'll look like a hero for being smart and frugal ... and still get a really decent lens for your daily shooting. A win-win, for sure.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

How much did you get it for? Who did you price match it against?

Congrats!

I don't think I could part with my a300, I couldn't give up the live view.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Congrats Elisha. Seems like a great camera. I love the LCD on that thing too. You don't get that with the 40D. It's a good time to buy, I don't think they will get much cheaper until they are replaced. What price did you get Henry's to match?

dr4gon, I would be shocked if we don't see an a700 replacement with liveview by fall, so that should suit you well. It's really nice to have on a tripod.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Congrats, I am still getting used to mine, but it is quickly growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Congrats Elisha. Seems like a great camera. I love the LCD on that thing too. You don't get that with the 40D. It's a good time to buy, I don't think they will get much cheaper until they are replaced. What price did you get Henry's to match?

dr4gon, I would be shocked if we don't see an a700 replacement with liveview by fall, so that should suit you well. It's really nice to have on a tripod.
    Yeah I figure they'll have something with hd videos and LV but I foresee the camera being priced at $1500 or so and I just can't afford that. I'm thinking the A700 will last me for another ~2 years , I'll focus on lesnes, and then I'll upgrade to FF (A900's replacement or whatever is out).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    What price did you get Henry's to match?

i got them to match Aden and Downtown Camera in Toronto who have it listed at $950 CDN which is about $750 USD.

just got back and gonna load pics on the PC soon.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR