Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I take proper stands on location.
    Ouch.

Yes, that would be the plan. When you are hiking through the woods ... locations a bit off the beaten path, so to speak, you take what you can. If you can "get the shot" ... more power to you.

Although, CDI, you could enumerate what qualifies for "on location." Carrying a hundred pounds of lighting hardware is a dedicated effort for almost anyone. Not to even factor in the lead/acid batteries as supply. How about the sun and some zip-disks ... that's backpackable!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-13-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Whoops...

Oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor View Post
    Not to confirm any unsubstantiated statements, but this is about dSLR market share.....
    I do apologise Ray! Although, as the OP's original post didn't directly or solely mention dSLRs per se, but only Sony's alleged 12% market share increase, I thought it would be in order for me to slip in a general observation about people's perception of the brand.

Maybe you too need to get over your apparent dSLR snobbery Ray. I was probably using an SLR while you were still in nappies LOL.

Cheers
    Last edited by Beowulff; 03-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Have to laugh...

Poor old Rooz...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    congratulations...and all irrelevant to my statement since this is about dslr's. a simple "sorry i misunderstood" would suffice about now.
    Like a moth to a flame every time... guaranteed!

You just don't get it do you mate LOL!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Although, CDI, you could enumerate what qualifies for "on location." Carrying a hundred pounds of lighting hardware is a dedicated effort for almost anyone. Not to even factor in the lead/acid batteries as supply. How about the sun and some zip-disks ... that's backpackable!
    A hundred pounds? Hardly. I don't use SLA batteries. My lighting is in my backpack already, so it's just the stands that are carried in hand. That might be 10lbs at most.

And no I don't just walk around with the stuff. I don't just walk around with my backpack either. If I'm just be-boppin' around I take the P&S or the dSLR and one lens + speedlite at most. If I'm hiking, the chances are I want to photograph things as they are, not as I light them.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 03-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff View Post
    Oh dear...

I do apologise Ray! Although, as the OP's original post didn't directly or solely mention dSLRs per se, but only Sony's alleged 12% market share increase, I thought it would be in order for me to slip in a general observation about people's perception of the brand.

Maybe you too need to get over your apparent dSLR snobbery Ray. I was probably using an SLR while you were still in nappies LOL.

Cheers
    The actual post may not have mentioned dSLRs per se, but Don normally titles the threads he starts and in this case it was titled "Does SONY actually have 12% DSLR marketshare?"

And you may indeed have been using SLRs before me. I only picked up my first SLR a little over 33 years ago. What that has to do with my post being considered dSLR snobbery, I can't understand. I use a dSLR(Nikon). I also use a couple of digital P&S cameras(Nikon, Canon, Fuji). I also use dedicated digital microscope cameras(Nikon, Zeiss, Polaroid). If anything, I guess that I could be accused of digital camera snobbery since I haven't used a film camera since the late 1990's. I also have no interest in doing so, either. 20+ years of developing film was more than enough.

Ray.

You can have 70 years' experience and still suck. I've seen wedding and portrait photographers who first picked up a camera 40 years ago still producing work that looks like it's from 30 years ago.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    You can have 70 years' experience and still suck.
    Absolutely.

Wink

I just don't think we have covered enough topics in this thread.

So I propose we now talk about UV filters. Good to use and keep lenses corrected, or bad idea to stick an extra piece of glass on the front of an expensive lens.

This is a joke by the way, since people seem to be taking things the wrong way in this thread.

Oh yeah, just found this at POTN...

Not true, but funny, and almost as off-topic as the discussion so far... in part my fault, btw.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I think that's Rhys on the far right...
    Ouch.