Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I picked a few things out of this thread for comment...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    .... fourthly, the bottom end of the market as the LEAST educated on camera specs and performance and MOST influenced by marketing gobbleydegook. so the SSS is a huge seller. its not until they use it and understand how limited it is that they know they got done over......
    Nonsense, nobody got "done over", SSS is invaluable. I'm not talking about handheld shots at 1/5th sec in the dark or other such nonsense, just in general use and especially at longer focal lengths and if, like me, your hands aren't as steady as they used to be, then SSS redresses the balance somewhat. You can argue that Canon do the job with better high ISO performance, it's a fair point but Canon cameras don't take Minolta lenses, so it's irrelevent for a lot of users buying into the Sony product. When Sony get their act together over the lacklustre ISO performance, and they will, things will look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    ... and one other I was thinking about recently. The very nice proprietary flash system becomes a liability when you decide to get all strobist about your shots.
    Why's that then? Explanation would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    ... i would put my trust in a company that focuses on just one thing than do multiple things at once....
    Wrong, put your trust in a successful company! Minolta were focused on being the best camera maker in the business, and look what happened to them.

I was pretty interested to read at Luminous Landscapes, of the Canon equiment failures during his recent Antarctic expedition. I took the liberty of reproducing some of the text ........

"In a summary session on the last day at the Peninsula I asked everyone to report on any equipment failures. Here's the tally.

The top LCD on a 5D MKII spontaneously cracked; Another 5D MKII had a jambed on lens caused by a loose screw, a 1Ds MKIII reported intermittent problems; a 1D MKIII kept reporting Error 99; one Hasselblad reported electronic lens connection problems; two Canon G9's failed (no G10s had any reported problems), and a Nikon 80-400mm lens came apart. No Nikon bodies (mostly D700s) failed in any way.

The largest group of failures though were among the Canon 5D MKIIs. Of the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at one time or another, and while three recovered, the other three never did. In all cases it appeared to be water or humidity damage. Of particular concern were two cameras which stopped working while completely protected within Kata rain covers during a light rain ashore. They came back to life the following day though and were mostly fine for the rest of the trip, but one died permenently just before the end of our voyage.

Several people noted that when returning to the ship after working in light rain 5D MKIIs with vertical battery grips tended to collect water in between the grip and the base – something that may have been the cause of some of the failures.

I should note that the 5D MKII's are not rated as weather resistant, but then neither are the Sony A900's. I deliberately allowed both of my A900 bodies be exposed to the rain for two days ashore to see how they would stand up. There were no operational difficulties. I also have used the Sonys back here in Toronto in snow storms, (unprotected), both before and after the Antarctic trip, with no ill effects. Though also not claimed as weather sealed, they appear to be as well protected as any other camera I've ever used.

As for the failed Canon 5D MKIIs, I hope that expedition members will report back to me with what Canon service has to say about what happened to them. As for the loaner that we had, Canon says that it was a unit that had been in circulation for testing prior to coming my way and it might have suffered some water damage previously.

I don't know what conclusions should be drawn from this high percentage of 5D MKII failures. All I can do is report on the facts of the matter. As for the weather during which most of the failures happened, it was no worse than a drizzly day in winter in New York or Berlin. Nothing Antarctic about it at all."

''''''' Here's the link if you want the rest http://www.llvj.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

I have to tell you, Peter, that article just leaves me with a cold feeling.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I picked a few things out of this thread for comment...

Why's that then? Explanation would be nice.
    The 42's head not swiveling is a bummer, and the lack of manual controls on the 36. But the real issue is the proprietary hot shoe. With a pocket wizard, or the cheap ebay triggers you are using the hot shoe or pc cable. I think the 56 and 58 at least have pc sockets, but you have to use an adapter for the others.

From what little I have read, it appears that Minolta has the best wireless system, which is nice, but there are times that you are outside in the sun, or around a corner or something when the Minolta wireless system will not work.

The hot shoe is BETTER than the standard hot shoe, but its non-standard. In a better universe the others would have adapted Minolta's superior hot shoe. Its easier to work with, and less likey to get loose. The standard hot shoe is several decades old. But they didn't, so any umbrella stands or wireless systems or other stuff are made for the standard hot shoe.

I did find adapters from Minolta flash to standard shoe on ebay, but thats another point of failure.

I was pretty interested to read at Luminous Landscapes, of the Canon equiment failures during his recent Antarctic expedition. I took the liberty of reproducing some of the text ........
    There is no doubt that Canon has had some hardware issues with bodies lately. The black spots on the Mk II, the auto focus issues with a recent 1D. And why the heck did they gimp the autofocus points on the XS to 7. And I think I have heard more individual claims of broken bodies (often from the factory) than with the other brands, but that might have to do with Canon being the most popular.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

to be fair, there were 26 Canons and only 2 Sony cameras on that outing.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    to be fair, there were 26 Canons and only 2 Sony cameras on that outing.
    Furthermore, none of us were there.

He also says there was "nothing Antarctic" about the weather down there in Antarctica. Must not have been much of a trip then either.
    Ouch.

Nonsense, nobody got "done over", SSS is invaluable. I'm not talking about handheld shots at 1/5th sec in the dark or other such nonsense, just in general use and especially at longer focal lengths and if, like me, your hands aren't as steady as they used to be, then SSS redresses the balance somewhat.
    for every brand, for people that have either ALREADY bought a camera or are looking for one, the least experienced buyers do NOT realise that IS does not freeze motion so does NOT produce the best shots in low light. that isnt cos they're stupid, its just cos they dont think about it. they just think "image stabilised" then they get blurry pics and wonder wtf is going on.

hell, we have experienced phtoographers here that still oversell IS. if Don was a salesmen in a store, he would be selling the IS to newbies and they would ALL be getting fooled into the advantages of IS. and none of it relates to longer focal length shutter speeds, all of the IS rhetoric is based around low light, slow shutter speeds.

whether anyone here chooses to deny it or not, entry level dslrs are purchased mostly be the least experienced people and these are the people who are most influenced by marketing, like MP's and anti shake.

that is not an absolute statement, cos i'm sure there are cashed up amateur hacks that buy D3's but GENERALLY the marketing segement for the entry level is for people new to photography and these are the people most likely to be duped at worst...and misled at worst.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Alternative locations for stuff

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    The hot shoe is BETTER than the standard hot shoe, but its non-standard. In a better universe the others would have adapted Minolta's superior hot shoe. Its easier to work with, and less likey to get loose. The standard hot shoe is several decades old. But they didn't, so any umbrella stands or wireless systems or other stuff are made for the standard hot shoe.

I did find adapters from Minolta flash to standard shoe on ebay, but that's another point of failure.
    The proprietary hot shoe has been going on since 1995. Minolta adopted it with i-series. A lot of dealers shoved Minolta out of their stores after that and it has been a hotly debated decision, ever since. Now, they are in a no-win situation with it, not wanting to lose the technology, but also realizing standard hot shoes are still pretty popular.

Gadget Infinity offers a Hot Shoe Adapter (FS-1100) part SKU number DICFLAADASON that offers "Standard" Hot Shoe capability and a PC-sync port, minus the fun stuff (TTL/ADI info) so you can use non-Minolta/SONY add-ons.

Failure? That's kind of relative. Personally, I use a pair of PocketWizards to do my strobe triggering ... and have relatively solid performance doing so. I previously used them with my Canon EOS 20D ... they work! Optical links can be unreliable if the triggering sensors are blocked or not in the proper location. I just avoid them altogether and am happier for it.

I also have a SLAVE trigger (Gadget Infinity SKU number DICFLAADASLAS) for the Minolta/SONY flashes, which allows them to work with standard hot shoe and strobe devices, without a wireless setup. I suggest being a little more creative in your lighting when working with the SONY stuff.

As always, the choice be yours!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Let me say that I was not trying to say that Don or anyone else in here is snobish, and if it was taken that way I am sorry. It is just that you get this everywhere, all the time, I use this so I am better than you. Canon vs Nikon vs Sony vs ... Canon and Nikon have both been around for a long time and are great cameras with great marketing. Sony has taken over for another company that has been around for a long time, now they are finding their way through. It is one thing to make the sensors to spec it is another to make the entire camera system. I personally think that they are on an incredible track. I have only met one person who had a system and honestly said if I could go back and start over I would go Canon and not Nikon. For most of us we will defend our choice over anything. After all it was our choice to choose Minolta/Sony. As for Don and Rooz, if you can't see humor and the ease of nature when they are after each other, then you need to take another look.

Sorry if I caused any problems or confusion in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by dbatapbr View Post
    Let me say that I was not trying to say that Don or anyone else in here is snobish, and if it was taken that way I am sorry. It is just that you get this everywhere, all the time, I use this so I am better than you. Canon vs Nikon vs Sony vs ... Canon and Nikon have both been around for a long time and are great cameras with great marketing. Sony has taken over for another company that has been around for a long time, now they are finding their way through. It is one thing to make the sensors to spec it is another to make the entire camera system. I personally think that they are on an incredible track. I have only met one person who had a system and honestly said if I could go back and start over I would go Canon and not Nikon. For most of us we will defend our choice over anything. After all it was our choice to choose Minolta/Sony. As for Don and Rooz, if you can't see humor and the ease of nature when they are after each other, then you need to take another look.

Sorry if I caused any problems or confusion in my previous post.
    It's fun to watch Rooz and Don take jabs at each other. I think on just about anything except the IS vs. high ISO they pretty much agree.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The proprietary hot shoe has been going on since 1995. Minolta adopted it with i-series. A lot of dealers shoved Minolta out of their stores after that and it has been a hotly debated decision, ever since. Now, they are in a no-win situation with it, not wanting to lose the technology, but also realizing standard hot shoes are still pretty popular.

Gadget Infinity offers a Hot Shoe Adapter (FS-1100) part SKU number DICFLAADASON that offers "Standard" Hot Shoe capability and a PC-sync port, minus the fun stuff (TTL/ADI info) so you can use non-Minolta/SONY add-ons.

Failure? That's kind of relative. Personally, I use a pair of PocketWizards to do my strobe triggering ... and have relatively solid performance doing so. I previously used them with my Canon EOS 20D ... they work! Optical links can be unreliable if the triggering sensors are blocked or not in the proper location. I just avoid them altogether and am happier for it.

I also have a SLAVE trigger (Gadget Infinity SKU number DICFLAADASLAS) for the Minolta/SONY flashes, which allows them to work with standard hot shoe and strobe devices, without a wireless setup. I suggest being a little more creative in your lighting when working with the SONY stuff.

As always, the choice be yours!
    I was referring to a part that is similar to that slave trigger, but has a standard hot-shoe on the bottom. That allows a Minolta flash to plug into a standard hot-shoe. I only found one on ebay, and it looked chinzey.

I'm familiar with the Minolta camera to hot-shoe adapter. Minolta even made an OEM one for a while, so I expect they are made fairly well.

Edit: Right after I hit post I got an email that this was relisted: Hot Shoe Adapter for Sony & Minolta Flash
    Last edited by laydros; 03-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr