Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    There seems to be a lot of bickering over absolutely nothing here recently, which is driving some seriously questionable 'points' and sweeping generalisations from people lol.

Anyway, I must apologise; I'm a 'bottom end user' (ooh err?!) so please excuse me, I was trying to find some marketing gobbledeygook to influence me on... well... anything, really.

Bob, what is it you need to move forward in your photography? What are you currently NOT getting?

Let's start with the basics, advanced we can do anytime.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    and d700 and d3x and d300...
    and d40 and d60 and d90
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Well, one point I disagree with Rooz on is the entry level. I picked up a Rebel XS/1000D yesterday, and I still think that if someone is going to buy an entry level camera and stick to it, Sony is the best, even once you know a bit more about what you are doing. I think the advantages to Sony are many, including: better price per features, real live view, better hot shoe, easy and powerful wireless system, image stabilization on older lenses, best ergonomics between Sony/Nikon/Canon. But once you want to move past that to the "advanced-amateur" range, you hit some issues. Including many I have mentioned before... and one other I was thinking about recently. The very nice proprietary flash system becomes a liability when you decide to get all strobist about your shots.
    Last edited by laydros; 03-11-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

and d700 and d3x and d300...
    I guess we all have things hidden in the closet that we wish had stayed there. Why only this week I was astounded to find out that the original Canon SLR's utilised Nikon lenses.....that's unAustralian

(it's like finding out your Mother has been having sex with your Father )

Which reminds me, if a Tasmanian couple get divorced, are they still brother and sister ?
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    I was astounded to find out that the original Canon SLR's utilised Nikon lenses.....that's unAustralian ?
    if that shocked you, dont go pulling your xti apart. their made of rubber bands, paper mache and some leftover plastic from the barbie factory.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

if that shocked you, dont go pulling your xti apart. their made of rubber bands, paper mache and some leftover plastic from the barbie factory.
    STOP THAT !!!! Leave me alone.....it is so a real camera (the man in the shop said so).
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Sorry, but I can't let this unsubstantiated, rash generalisation pass unchallenged!

.....The bottom end of the market is the LEAST educated on camera specs and performance and MOST influenced by marketing gobbleydegook.
    I bought my first camera in 1957 (a little VP Twin half-frame camera that took 127 film) and since than handled and/or owned numerous camera brands, types, and film formats.

I've just bought a (bottom-end LOL) Sony DSC W-150, which for its $199 price tag is giving me exemplary images. Why? Because I know exactly how to use it to the fullest of its technical capabilities, plus learning all there is to know about photography over the last half century.

And to assert that the bottom-end of the consumer market is the most influenced by slick market-speak is also totally unfounded — unless you have any empirical evidence other than simply your own personal opinion.

Your patronising opinion of the "bottom end" of the camera market smacks all too highly of camera snobbery to me. Does one have to use a dSLR to escape that imaginary hell-hole of yours?

Cheers
    Last edited by Beowulff; 03-12-2009 at 06:22 AM.

I think DonSchap is taking his Sony love too far with these threads.
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff View Post
    Sorry, but I can't let this unsubstantiated, rash generalisation pass unchallenged!

I bought my first camera in 1957 (a little VP Twin half-frame camera that took 127 film) and since than handled and/or owned numerous camera brands, types, and film formats.

I've just bought a (bottom-end LOL) Sony DSC W-150, which for its $199 price tag is giving me exemplary images. Why? Because I know exactly how to use it to the fullest of its technical capabilities, plus learning all there is to know about photography over the last half century.

And to assert that the bottom-end of the consumer market is the most influenced by slick market-speak is also totally unfounded unless you have any empirical evidence other than simply your own personal opinion.

Your patronising opinion of the "bottom end" of the camera market smacks all too highly of camera snobbery to me. Does one have to use a dSLR to escape that imaginary hell-hole of yours?

Cheers
    Not to confirm any unsubstantiated statements, but this is about dSLR marketshare, which would expand to being related to the dSLR market and the bottom-end of the dSLR market. Your Sony DSC W-150 does not fit into the bottom-end of this market.

Ray.