Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Does SONY actually have 12% DSLR marketshare?

I heard a rumor ... and if it is even close to being true, that's double what it was, last year. It must have cost SONY a fortune!

And with such questionable cameras, too? Certainly the Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 50D & 5D MkII are too good to pass up ... sacre bleu ...this cannot be.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes, for last year. Exact percentages and gains posted at DPR a while back and it was for Japan.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

here rooz rooz rooz, Ill bet we get a guest appearance oh i cant wait.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

I have seen someone say that when they see someone carrying a Sony, they don't take them seriously, but of most of the non-Sony people that drop in here, most don't have much of an attitude about things like this. I think we are seeing Sony fill in as a strong 3rd place, where Olympus and Pentax couldn't really compete. I think the problem is that most of those are A200-350s, and very very few A700s. This is just my guess, but it sure seems that way.

I still think that Sony has the best offering in the entry range. And there is no doubt that if someone is going out to drop $6000 for a whole pro level setup, the A900 + CZ and G glass can go a long way. The problem is in the middle. As I outgrow my A300 and cobbled together collection of kit and Minolta glass, things aren't looking so great.

Once Sony solves this they will become an increasingly significant player. The seem to have figured out that people buying sub-$1000 cameras aren't all mutants with small hands, which CaNikon seem to think, and they inherited some cool stuff from Minolta, namely the in-body IS. PMA scared me a little, almost that they still aren't really taking the SLR side of things as serious as the P&S. That new super zoom with G glass looks incredible. The panorama mode is awesome. But couldn't they at least announce a single lens that isn't just a concept.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

to me, Sony is like Honda. they have their fingers in everything. Honda does cars, bikes, recreational vehicles and Sony does home electronics and such.

so it is hard to look at a company that does all of these things and and believe that they are good at everything.

i think of Nikon like i do of Toyota. they do just cars and Nikon does just cameras and accessories. i would put my trust in a company that focuses on just one thing than do multiple things at once.

Canon on the other hand, although they have their fingers in consumer electronics as well, were in the spotlight for their cameras first. i think of Canon like i think of Mitsubishi.

my analogies may not be accurate but i hope you guys get the point.

as for Oly and Pentax, they just did not catch on as well in the North American market like some European cars caught on in the Asian market such as Citroen, Renault or Peugeot.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I heard a rumor ... and if it is even close to being true, that's double what it was, last year. It must have cost SONY a fortune!

And with such questionable cameras, too? Certainly the Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 50D & 5D MkII are too good to pass up ... sacre bleu ...this cannot be.
    i dont know the exact figures. i do recall though that they were posted on this forum before so not sure why you are raising them again. i suppose its another vain attempt to sell sony...which, as usual is flawed.

firstly, sony has 4 models in that new market share lineup as opposed to one "prototype" model for the year before. so they have had a 400% increase in models and a 50% increase in market share. you do the math.

secondly, market share is primarily driven by the bottom end of the market. ie: much more VOLUME of camera sales, (which drives market share), are from entry level dslr's. sony have 3 entry level models so its hardly surprising that they would improve.

thirdly, as stated above, entry level models drive market share so your quip about the d700, 5dMkII and to a lesser degree the 50d is, as usual misguided and false cos these cameras do not sell high volumes. this does not say a single thing about the quality of the product. i doubt either the 50d and certianly not the 5dMkII would even have been available for the full year in which that stat was recorded.

fourthly, the bottom end of the market as the LEAST educated on camera specs and performance and MOST influenced by marketing gobbleydegook. so the SSS is a huge seller. its not until they use it and understand how limited it is that they know they got done over.

fifthly, as i have stated MANY times in the past. there is no greater joy to me than to see sony increase their market share cos this is the kind of thing that puts pressure on the top 2 to not sit on their asses and make sure they keep producing top quality products.

and finally...unless you are a sony shareholder, this information may make fanboys feel all warm and fuzzy inside but it deosnt change the performance of the product line up, the bodies still perform as they did before the figures were released. so if you werent satisfied then, you wont be satisfied now and if you WERE satisfied with the product, this shouldnt change how you feel about your camera.

class dismissed Don.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Hey, thanks for chiming in ... and the sooner the equipment levels open up to a broader range, including pros ... perhaps we all (that is, ALL manufacturers) will enjoy better cameras. No harm in trying ... success is important to everyone. Just look at what it did to get cheaper IS in a few more lenses. A true blessing to one and all of those no-IS-in-the-camera shakers.

Let's get the marketshare up around 25% and then, perhaps then, it'll be taken a little more seriously. Goodness knows, this board should be hoppin'!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-10-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

....and besides....Sony has some of their "bits" in some of the Nikon cameras (eg D3)
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

and d700 and d3x and d300...
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I wouldn't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will