Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What was your slowest, handheld, successful looking SSS-shot?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/40

2 28.57%
  • 1/30

0 0%
  • 1/25

1 14.29%
  • 1/20

0 0%
  • 1/15

2 28.57%
  • 1/13

0 0%
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 1/8

0 0%
  • 1/5

1 14.29%
  • Slower & I will decribe the experience in the thread

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I believe in the 3-m's of success ... Man, Moment and Machine. You put all three together and you can make some magic ... so do it to it and allow SONY's SSS ... to be the mortar for the bricks.
    the machine is almost insignificant in that equation and SSS even less siginficant than insignificant. people have been taking wonderful photos for a hundred years Don. i dont recall seeing a single brilliant image in my life where any form of image stabilisation was the reason for the shot being brilliant.

statements like this make me wonder if you actually believe this rubbish or you;re just being provocative.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    SSS is useful, but like Rooz says, it is only good for stationary objects.
    i've had several shots at 1/5th @ ISO 1600 that look good enough for an 8x10 but at the same time i wish i could get cleaner ISO 3200 or higher shots to gain faster shutter speed as well.
    in my case, hand shake is not the problem. it is more so trying to freeze the motion.

obviously i can't have both based on the current systems out there presently, so i'll take SSS only for now since i've already invested in Sony.
    Elisha, SONY is fully aware of the noise problem at high-ISO. Now, what they are doing about it is being played very close to the vest. It'll be of some interest to see what this summer's release reveals. There was NOTHING on it at PMA 09.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    the machine is almost insignificant in that equation and SSS even less siginficant than insignificant. people have been taking wonderful photos for a hundred years Don. i dont recall seeing a single brilliant image in my life where any form of image stabilisation was the reason for the shot being brilliant.

statements like this make me wonder if you actually believe this rubbish or you;re just being provocative.
    Are you even interested in the poll's results? It is an ad hoc proving post.

Who is being provocative, in the SONY DSLR forum? I suggest you just sit on your quick little hands, for a while, and let the masses speak. How about it?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Are you even interested in the poll's results? It is an ad hoc proving post.
    yes, i;m interested in how low people can go. kinda fun to know how relatively steady peoples hands are. its not however relevant in the slightest to the discussion we've been having on the usefullness of SSS.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Does Hand Held Remote Trigger Count? I have done some pretty amazing things using it. Both with SSS and SSS Off!

What was holding the camera?

flickr & Sdi

i think he means holding the camera firmly in one hand while using the remote shutter on the other hand so there is no camera shake when the trigger is pressed.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

What holds my cameras, Bogen what else?
    Prior to that I used the ones Christopher Columbus brought over from Europe to the New World. Ha!
    No it was complete sarcasm on my part. Simply trying to inject a small amount of humor into the board. Just making some fun of my tremors in my older age. I have been known to shake like an Alcoholic with Delrium tremens.

MY QUESTION IS. WHAT HOLDS THE SENSOR IN PLACE WHEN THE SSS IS OFF..IS IT FREE TO BOUNCE AROUND...IS IT HELD MAGNETICALY(IN WHICH CASE IT WOULD BOUNCE AROUND...

LAST YEAR I RIGGED UP A DOT IN FRONT OF THE LENS TO FOCUS ON..SINCE IT WAS RIGIDLY ATTACHED IT SHOULD HAVE STAYED FOCUSED AND SHARP...BUT IT DIDN'T WHEN I SHOOK THE CAMERA WITH IT OFF...WITH IT ON WAS EVEN WORSE...

NOT THAT I NEED TO SHACK MY CAMERA TO TAKE PICTURES
    ONLY TO ERASE THEM

1/15" no SSS or IS

In response to a challenge by Don, I shot at 88mm f/4 1/15", no IS.
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43080
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.