Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What was your slowest, handheld, successful looking SSS-shot?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/40

2 28.57%
  • 1/30

0 0%
  • 1/25

1 14.29%
  • 1/20

0 0%
  • 1/15

2 28.57%
  • 1/13

0 0%
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 1/8

0 0%
  • 1/5

1 14.29%
  • Slower & I will decribe the experience in the thread

1 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What hold the camera sensor still with the SSS turned off?

My theory is a combination of Einstein's Theory of Everything and Stevens Hawkins Theory of Black Holes. Although I will not get into my opinion on these matters as they may pertain to photography, I will say the following.

The sensor is held in a fixed position. Using high ISO/ASA with the A900 among its predecessors will create some noise.

Not to be so negative to those in favor of light weight tripods, I have always used the heaviest I could find. And I mean the heaviest and most robust and expensive I could find. And yes this does include hanging sand bags under Minolta 300, 400, 600mm lenses for proper stabilization. Or simply using sand bags or bean bags to hold the camera still. I use many of the auto focus lenses in manual focus mode with the Minolta9, Minolta7, Minolta 9Ti, and Minolta 7 Limited at ISA/ASA 50 and below, and Digital A700 and A900 ISO/ASA 200 and below with absolute fantastic results.

I always drape some cloth or tape over the viewfinder on bodies which do not have viewfinder closure, mirror lockup or two sec. delay (which is Mirror Lockup) on several Minolta minded camera bodies, digital Alpha included.

Long exposure have always creates problems with digital and film at any exposure for me personally. Understanding repricocity failure with films below iso 50 took me years to perfect. With the advent of digital it is much easier, although not simple to understand at any stretch of the imagination. It is truly possible to achieve such results in film and digital media.

SonyNut, personally I cannot answer this question; however I have seen similar results with certain lenses produced by Minolta, Sony and Zeiss alike. I would be interested to know the lenses you used for this test group.

Cam

It obvious depends on the situation. But with a wide angle, you can manage 1/2 or greater <1" if you are very still (sitting definitely helps) and at <18mm.

I'll repost this again.

Provided are 1:1 crops of the following:

(1/15 sec, see below)

Just for fun, Here goes: (caption under image)

1/4 sec, elbows leaning on table, not really trying here SSS on

1/8 sec standing, SSS on, I'm bad at standing

1/6 sitting upright, SSS on

1/10 sitting upright, SSS off

1/10, sitting upright SSS on, not much a difference

1/8 sitting upright, SSS on

1/15, sitting upright, sss on

SSS does help get more clear shots! These are my best, some didin't turn out too hot under 1/10 lol...

Looking more at these on the forum, they look slightly better on the computer in lightroom (RAW). Also zooming out (not 1:1) looks significantly better and you cannot tell there was any shake or blur at all.

Another thing to note, if you try hard enough, eventually something will come out decent.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i dont recall seeing a single brilliant image in my life where any form of image stabilisation was the reason for the shot being brilliant.
    How would you KNOW that just by looking at the image?
    Mike Burnside
    Sony A350
    Quantaray 18-200/3.5-6.3
    Sony Macro 2.8/50

Quote Originally Posted by Burnside View Post
    I think he means the sole reason. It can be hard to tell. Many pictures though aren't great because they are 100% just picture perfect sharp.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Burnside View Post
    well for a couple of reasons.

reason #1: some of the most brilliant and compelling images ever taken were taken before IS even existed.

reason #2: i havent seen any brilliant photos of a still object. have you ? if so, please point me to a few.

its either of people, activity or nature....you know the interactive world we live in as opposed to figurines and sword hilts.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-camera image stabilization:
    Building on years of expertise, Sony has developed the world’s first body-integrated image stabilization solution for a full frame DSLR1. The SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-camera image stabilizer actually shifts the image sensor to compensate for camera shake without sacrificing image quality. The compensation effect is equal to as many as four shutter speed steps, giving you more creative freedom when shooting in low light. And, because it is integrated into the camera body, SteadyShot INSIDE technology works with all compatible α (alpha) system lenses.