Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Should ISO be “automatically” calculated in the MANUAL Mode? (SONY does not)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe it should be a menu option

5 35.71%
  • No, MANUAL Mode means “manual”

7 50.00%
  • Undecided

0 0%
  • This aspect bothers me so much that I am going to another manufacturer.

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iso - auto

Iso - auto

A point of contention has erupted in the "SONY - Picture of the Day" thread, in the SONY DSLR Forum. To avoid wasted confusion about such things, where images should posted and debates elsewhere, I am asking the members to participate here ... in this POLL, to see where membership thinking is on the ISO - AUTO setting.

As had been explained, ISO comes in quite a variety of settings on the SONY DSLRs. The ISO - AUTO feature allows the user to set limits in how the camera can adapt ISO for the following Modes: P, S, A

ISO - AUTO is disabled in any other Mode. You cannot set limits in the "AUTO" Mode selection, either.

Page 100 of the A700 User's Guide/Troubleshooting &
    page 90 of the A300 A350 Instruction Manual details this functionality.

In the MANUAL Mode of camera operation, the user must declare specifically what ISO wanted to be used. You must also select Shutter Speed and Aperture to perform the proper exposure. Apparently, other camera manufacturers offer ISO - AUTO in the Manual mode.

The debate encompasses the argument that MANUAL means "MANUAL" everything - versus - having the camera calculate ISO automatically for you.

Please feel free to expand on your response in this thread, not in POTD.

Thank you
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

it is not an ERUPTION at all. its a civilised discussion. these sorts of discussions can be had with members like Peek cos they are reasonable people. i suggest you stop wasting time on silly polls and figure out how to take a picture thats in focus.

manual mode is NOT manual everything at all. there is no such thing as manual everything on a dslr. the chip is doing processing, the built in light meter is determining exposure values, colour and contrast are being adjusted, exposure compensation adjusted, focus is auto...do i need to continue ?

point #1: iso is rarely, if ever, used for creative control.
    point #2: manufacturers should not be determining when we as consumers use a particualr feature
    point #3: if you dont like it, turn it OFF. thats pat of the choices we should have as a user of the feature.

regardless of what the poll shows or what you say, to not have full control over a feature like this makes it a substandard implementation of it.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

'Rooz', wasting time making opinions about something that has absolutely no value to the POTD on a particular manufacturer's forum seems ... well, you FINGER it out. Geez Louise.

At least this is an attempt to separate the WHEAT from your CHAFF, by putting in a place of discussion ... not an image thread. You want to to continue arbitration over a rather minute issue, so be it. Have at it. The response should be ... well, underwhelming, to say the least.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I'll say it would be a nice option. Why not, it's just another thing to add to the menu and the camera can pick an ISO that is usable. If you don't want it, you don't even have to know it's there and just stick to picking your standard 100, 200, whatever.... ISO.

But a workaround would be just scrolling through a couple ISOs to see what kind of an exposure it would give and it should be easy to adjust from there.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Strange part to this is that on the A900, with its "Preview" function, you have no way to futz with the ISO without taking another shot.

You can check and actively adjust the effects of Exposure compensation, Aperture, Shutter Speed, White Balance and D-Range Optimizer. But, once again, not the ISO. That requires you "manually" change the setting of the ISO and try again.

Just something to consider ... other than a whole new "ISO-priority Mode" Hey wait a minute ... don't we get that automatically with the other two?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 03:46 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Well an ISO option in M mode would be an A/M/I priority.

ISO is one of the three variables to exposure, the other two being aperture and shutter speed and should be given the option to be adjusted.

.... and I forgot what else I was going to say.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Ok Rooz, I did a search for auto iso on the D300 and I see where you're coming from.
    It's a sort of "Auto Manual" mode which is a contradiction in terms and not what I'm used to. However, I can see where it could be useful for shooting at the Footie or for Sean at the Basketball; lock the shutter and aperture and let the camera make adjustments for any change in the light. So what we need is a new dial choice, "Auto Manual". Cripes that's gonna confuse the hell out of a Newbie, anyway it gets my vote for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Ok Rooz, I did a search for auto iso on the D300 and I see where you're coming from.
    It's a sort of "Auto Manual" mode which is a contradiction in terms and not what I'm used to. However, I can see where it could be useful for shooting at the Footie or for Sean at the Basketball; lock the shutter and aperture and let the camera make adjustments for any change in the light. So what we need is a new dial choice, "Auto Manual". Cripes that's gonna confuse the hell out of a Newbie, anyway it gets my vote for what it's worth.
    Sony can just call it iM - Intelligent Manual

but that's really not necessary as it's one change in the ISO menu, Auto ISO
    flickr

You'd think it would be easy to implement but, hey, what do I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    it is not an ERUPTION at all. its a civilised discussion. these sorts of discussions can be had with members like Peek cos they are reasonable people. i suggest you stop wasting time on silly polls and figure out how to take a picture thats in focus.
    Actually, everything in the photo is slightly blurry....1/10 sec shutter speed??...camera shake?? Surely not! he has in camera IS....

You can blame it on the bird moving, and it appears to be doing so(IS does nothing for subject movement whether in body or not), but those logs and the green cage...usually stationary.
    Last edited by TenD; 03-08-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.