Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberwlf View Post
    And I think our overly technical discussion as to the semantics of the technology might've scared kjm off!
    I don't think a truer statement has ever been written on this forum. Maybe it could be used a guide for future threads.
    Stay on topic when somebody has a genuine problem.

I'm here guys, been a bit busy with the wife and son the last few days. I'm not so much worried about actually getting the laptop fixed as I am getting the pictures off the drive. So an external enclosure will allow me to do that? Even if Windows doesn't recognize the drive itself?
    D700(gone), D90(gone), D40x
    80-200 f/2.8D(gone), 50 f/1.4G, 100 f/2.8 Series E, 18-55 kitty
    SB900(gone), SB24, Sunpak 383(dead), fired with Paul C Buff triggers

External enclosure will allow you to boot off that once you install an operating system on it. So as i said, you will need a Windows installation or Linux installation (with NTFS support) on the external drive to allow it to boot in the first place though, so you should be attempting to get both those things, then you can copy all the files off the existing hard disk inside your machine.
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberwlf View Post
    External enclosure will allow you to boot off that once you install an operating system on it. So as i said, you will need a Windows installation or Linux installation
    Sorry Cyberwlf, but I respectfully disagree.

He doesn't want to BOOT the old drive. I understood him to say that he has a new machine already. He just wants to get the images off the old drive. Attempts to repair or reinstall Windows will jeopardize the chances of getting those files safely extracted.

As long as the drive is functioning mechanically, we don't care if Windows will boot. He can stick the drive in an external enclosure, connect it to his new PC via USB (I'm ignoring the debate on the merits of USB/FW), and copy those images to a safe location on his new PC.

THEN, a decision can be made about reformatting, reinstalling Windows, etc.

KirkS

You misunderstood my post Kirk. To clarify for you it meant if he has an external hard drive enclosure, that hard drive will have no operating system on it. Therefore the need for an installation there is so the external can boot, it has nothing to do with the internal drive, otherwise he can attach an external but the computer won't be able to do anything with it!

For the record though, reinstalling/repairing Windows won't actually have any impact to any images files, as Windows repair only replaces Microsoft Windows files, nothing else.

If he does indeed have a new PC then sure he can just rip out the existing hard drive and put it in an enclosure and copy off the drive from the other PC if he knows how to open his machine up and take it out and install it into an external case without damaging it.
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

Quote Originally Posted by kirks View Post
    Sorry Cyberwlf, but I respectfully disagree.

He doesn't want to BOOT the old drive. I understood him to say that he has a new machine already. He just wants to get the images off the old drive. Attempts to repair or reinstall Windows will jeopardize the chances of getting those files safely extracted.

As long as the drive is functioning mechanically, we don't care if Windows will boot. He can stick the drive in an external enclosure, connect it to his new PC via USB (I'm ignoring the debate on the merits of USB/FW), and copy those images to a safe location on his new PC.

THEN, a decision can be made about reformatting, reinstalling Windows, etc.

KirkS

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Maybe I'll work on fixing the laptop later, but right now I just need the images off the hard drive. Both are already out of the laptop. Thanks guys.
    D700(gone), D90(gone), D40x
    80-200 f/2.8D(gone), 50 f/1.4G, 100 f/2.8 Series E, 18-55 kitty
    SB900(gone), SB24, Sunpak 383(dead), fired with Paul C Buff triggers