Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have one of the drives connected to my comp but cant open, etc. until I format it. Wont that erase my data? I guess it doesn't help that the drive is xp and the desktop is vista. I guess I have to find someone with xp?
    Last edited by kjmdrumz3; 03-06-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    D700(gone), D90(gone), D40x
    80-200 f/2.8D(gone), 50 f/1.4G, 100 f/2.8 Series E, 18-55 kitty
    SB900(gone), SB24, Sunpak 383(dead), fired with Paul C Buff triggers

Vista should be able to read an XP drive.

Have you been into the Hardware Manager to see if the drive is mounted okay? (I don't have a Vista PC here at the moment to give you the exact place to look)

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Vista should be able to read an XP drive.

Have you been into the Hardware Manager to see if the drive is mounted okay? (I don't have a Vista PC here at the moment to give you the exact place to look)
    I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I've already taken it out and buttoned up the desktop and I'm tired as hell. Thanks for the help, and I'll take it to pm's if needed.

HAL.dll - this could have been resolved a few different ways without losing any data.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about6705.html
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...singhaldll.htm

But since you already replaced the computer, just take out the old drive and put it in the new one. Access it via Windows and copy your files over. Do not format, as that will wipe everything. Vista and XP use the same file systems, no reason to format. It may need to be assigned a drive letter, go into Disk Management to check this.

http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...ment-in-vista/

Tell us whether or not the disk is actually displayed in there first.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 03-07-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    HAL.dll - this could have been resolved a few different ways without losing any data.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about6705.html
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...singhaldll.htm

But since you already replaced the computer, just take out the old drive and put it in the new one. Access it via Windows and copy your files over. Do not format, as that will wipe everything. Vista and XP use the same file systems, no reason to format. It may need to be assigned a drive letter, go into Disk Management to check this.

http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...ment-in-vista/

Tell us whether or not the disk is actually displayed in there first.

Thanks for the info bro but I cant get the laptop to boot, in safe mode or otherwise.

Your issue would probably be better served on a forum that specializes in that?
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3 View Post
    Thanks for the info bro but I cant get the laptop to boot, in safe mode or otherwise.
    I thought you said you got the hard drives out of it?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3 View Post
    I have one of the drives connected to my comp but cant open, etc. until I format it. Wont that erase my data? I guess it doesn't help that the drive is xp and the desktop is vista. I guess I have to find someone with xp?

Yes it will erase EVERYTHING if you format. 99.9% of the time the failure to start us due to Windows becoming corrupted in the startup, and everything else on the drive is intact. While the slave idea is good if you have another desktop, a far better idea is the external case - which are cheap. Take the corrupted drive out and insert it in the case. It will connect to other computers - including the laptop - via USB port. Then navigate to where your desired files are and copy over to the host computer.

I am going through the same thing now - except mine was due to a nasy "antivirus2009" rogue malware infection. Unfortunately, I never did full backups with an external drive so I can't take what would be a good drive out of an external case and insert in computer. Now, I just bought a new harddrive and did a clean install. Will also do a mirror backup befoe I even thing about attaching that infected drive to retrieve photos and other documents. My big concern now is if those documents carry a trojan - thus the clean backup if it rears it's ugly head.

EDIT: Just re-read your first sentence. Don't know what your computer experience is but would be normal that windows would not "open" as is no longer the primary drive. It would be "accessed". Go to "accessories" "windows explorer" choose "computer" if that is not the defaunt. You should see all drives listed there. Then access the appropriate one. You can edit/copy/paste from there. Vista will absolutely read an XP harddrive. During the install, I had a problem with Vista recognizing a dvd drive existed (was shown in BIOS and could actually boot from it). During my troubleshooting, tested the EIDE system by removing the drive and attaching an old XP harddrive to it. Vista recognized that no problem. Turns out on the dvd drive issue, after all my troubleshooting failed, googled the problem - apparently well known - and required manually editing a line from the registry.

Also, for photos and other important docs. Best practice is to keep at least 3 copies. Original, backup to external source (harddrive), and backup to an off-site source (burn to cd's kept at office, preferable to 3rd party storage that can suddenly disappear). If your house burnt down and you lost the computer and backup drive, you would still have your external off site for recovery.
    Last edited by tizeye; 03-08-2009 at 05:38 AM.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

Do a virus scan then on your documents, documents wont automatically infect your machine unless they are opened in Word or a relevant viewer, so they are safe to copy back, just don't preview them even till you've done a scan with an upto date virus checker.

People shouldn't ever be trusting all their data to one place, it's like the memory card thread a while back here, trusting so much data to something so fallible is only looking for trouble. Hard drives are the most common cause of hardware failure in a machine. With something like photos back them up to another hard drive, not on a new partition of the same drive.

Norton SystemWorks to name just one package offers file recovery tools, there's a number of other applications out there which do similar things, just check www.download.com and search there, so should your hard drive be genuinely stuffed, you can mostly salvage most of your files.

But do NOT format that drive first. It's actually a myth that a formatted hard drive can't be salvaged, as all Windows does in a typical 'Quick Format' is to wipe the index files which tells the computer where the files are located on the drive and doesn't wipe the files itself, only a 'full format' will do that (and even they can be recovered by the right software unless you use military strength formatting). But in spite of that, you just make your life harder by formatting it.

As mentioned here boot off an external OS installation (it doesn't even have to be Windows or off a hard drive, you can just get one of those USB Flash Disk based distributions of Linux and boot off that, long as it has NTFS support) and copy it to an external drive, then you can do a clean reinstall on your existing boot drive and copy everything back.

There's also a chance you may be able to avoid all this by using something like a Windows Repair Tool. Windows OS CD allows you to do a Repair of the OS installation if you boot off the Windows CD, meaning all your apps will remain in place, as will all your documents, but depends just how rooted your OS installation actually is too.

Anyhow hope that helps!
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

A repair would fix the broken hal.dll as suggested above. The only problem is you need a Windows CD that is equal to or newer. You can't repair an XP Service Pack 2 OS with an original XP disc for example. Personally I roll all the updates and integrate the latest service pack and burn a new disc every time I need it. For example, I have a WinXP Professioanl + SP3 + all updates to January 2009 CD that I built with the RyanVM Integrator. It installs as XP Service Pack 3 right from the disc. When I install, I don't need hours and hours of Windows Updates. You can spend your entire day doing those if your install is old enough.

I shouldn't say that's the only problem, it rebuilds your registry so none of your programs are registered as installed, which will make some of them not run. It at least gets you back into windows to your data though, but I always end up doing a clean install so I really don't like the repair option except for a few cases.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 03-08-2009 at 05:04 AM.

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod