Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About to purchase D90 - should I be worried about errors?

I'm hoping you guys can give me a little advice. I've been trying to decide between a D80 or D90. I had decided on the D90 until just recently when I started reading about (on another forum) some people getting consistent errors while using their D90's. Some people thought they had narrowed down the problem to the brand of SD memory they were using, while some thought it was a contact issue between the lens and body.

I did some searching on this forum and found only one instance of this error occurring. Have you guys heard of anything like this? My D40 has never had any issues like this, so I would be pretty disappointed if I spent $900 and started having problems.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Thanks

Ive not seen any issues with D90s from this forum or reading photography news, so i'd say it was at most an isolated incident, sometimes people just get unlucky with the unit they picked up! And if they do, it's Nikon's job to repair it free of charge anyhow!
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

I have D90 for some time now and I have no problems with it.
    I dont think that you should worrie about some errors.
    Just go for it . It is great camera...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nikon D90 || Nikkor 18-105mm VR || Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    || Nikon SB900
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard of any issues either, which leads me to believe it is likely an isolated incident. I wouldn't worry, I say get the D90 and enjoy the hell out of it.

I have a D90 and have shot over 3,600 shots and not had one error other that the kind caused by the user.
    Nikon D-90 w/ kit lens | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D My lame flickr site.

Thanks for the replies. You guys make me feel a little more comfortable. For those that have and are using a D90, what type of memory are you using? I've got 3 x 4GB of Sandisk Extreme III that I will be using.

I'm hoping the errors that the users on the other forum are seeing (I would link directly but I'm assuming that it isn't allowed on this forum) are just isolated. Just like anything else, compared to the total number sold, I'm sure the percentage of problem cameras are very small.

Thanks again

Sandisk memory cards are fully compatible with Nikon so you dont have to worry about it.
    Maybe with some strange no name memoy cards there can be some problems.
    I remember that I used once one noname card on Canon S1 IS , but that was long time ago and it didnt worked. I just change it for more expenssive sundisk and I never had any problems with them.

Now I'm using one SDHC 8GB Extreme III Sandisk on my D90. It is enough for me and works great...
    Nikon D90 || Nikkor 18-105mm VR || Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    || Nikon SB900

Kingston cards have the most compatibility issues especially in the SD variety. not sure why.
    and like it was mentioned before, if it is the camera itself, Nikon will fix it for you free of charge. just make sure it is not a grey market one.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by jahorv View Post
    I'm hoping you guys can give me a little advice. I've been trying to decide between a D80 or D90. I had decided on the D90 until just recently when I started reading about (on another forum) some people getting consistent errors while using their D90's.
    Your camera will come with a warranty so where is the problem?

If you worry about buying things because of real or imagined faults that other people are reporting on the Internet you will never buy anything.

People are more common to report errors than good experiences on the net so it might seem like theres a lot of errors when actually theres not. Dont think u need to worry and theres always warranty if something does go wrong.

And ofc you allowed to post links to other forums here .
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14807929@N05/

D40+Sigma 17-70-2.8-4.5 DC MACRO