Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    I didn't imply that at all. I too use direct flash as necessary. However, this being the 21st century and the digital age, we're not stuck with one usable ISO. We can go above ISO100 and open up wider than f/8.
    Yes we can but as I'm sure you're aware, the best results in terms of ISO (in the clients eyes) come from 100ISO. Clients do not like grain. We can open up wider than f8 but again clients really like photos that are sharp from front to back and f8 achieves this - which is very important in a dynamic situation when the AF can screw up. Even despite this safeguard, the photos on one wedding were out of focus when the unity candle was lit.

My personal preference anyway is for either natural light or direct flash. Flashes have so little power in them anyway that I don't want to waste that puny amount of power on bouncing. Now if I was using a Metz 60... Now there's a photographer's flash - GN 60 (metric) at 35mm.
    Last edited by Rhys; 03-12-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Yes we can but as I'm sure you're aware, the best results in terms of ISO (in the clients eyes) come from 100ISO. Clients do not like grain. We can open up wider than f8 but again clients really like photos that are sharp from front to back and f8 achieves this - which is very important in a dynamic situation when the AF can screw up. Even despite this safeguard, the photos on one wedding were out of focus when the unity candle was lit.

My personal preference anyway is for either natural light or direct flash. Flashes have so little power in them anyway that I don't want to waste that puny amount of power on bouncing. Now if I was using a Metz 60... Now there's a photographer's flash - GN 60 (metric) at 35mm.
    i gotta disagree. i think clients like bokeh more than anything.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Clients don't care about grain. Pixel-peepers care about grain. Clients care about emotion and aesthetics. Clients hate photos that are sharp from front to back. They get that with their point and shoot. If they just wanted direct flash low ISO ugliness they could hand their Powershot to a relative and get it for free.

You seriously underestimate the power of a hot shoe flash. They most certainly are bouncable.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 03-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Ouch.

For me this guy wrote the bible for lighting weddings.

This lead in to the first paragraph of the link below summarizes exactly what a wedding photographer should be striving to achieve.

"Making flash not look like flash"

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/f...looking-flash/

What he's done is given the images the appearance of natural light without having so much as a hint of flash. The ISO's used aren't particularly extreme either. Your preference to natural light and direct flash are diametrically opposed to one another. How can you prefer both?

Brides are supposed to look soft and cuddly. Direct flash won't help that happen. And you won't befriend many bridesmaids with direct flash either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_48 View Post
    Brides are supposed to look soft and cuddly.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Now I understand why bridesmaids are attracted to you.

I second that link, i read that some time ago and found it a very very interesting read.

Now I understand why bridesmaids are attracted to you.
    Cdi... you don't walk around with those strapped onto to you... Do you? I imagine that would certainly be a very effective bridesmaid bait.

Baaccck to the triggers, im curious of their limitations, and i never got why people want these for studio use... i use optical slaves that are pretty much 98% effective in a studio environement. I do have to plug in 1 flash, but i shoot tethered in the studio anyways, so having 2 wires or one is pretty much the same.
    Last edited by Csae; 03-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Hey there's an idea. I'll buy a set and pin them to my camera bag.
    Ouch.

He doesn't need 'em. He has an Intriguing Sexy Organ

This might have been true when people shot film but come on Rhys, get with the times buddy.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0