Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    Heh, sorry but thats very far from strobism : P

They never let the flashes actually show, they make the off-camera flash seem natural.

Hey, as a fellow canadian, where did you get your's :? The radio triggers that is. Or was it just some asian ebay dealer ?

Im hoping for some sort of canadian based retailer or reseller or something.

Henry's sells something similar under the Opus brand name for 160 CAN for one receiver and one transmitter. Each additional receiver is 80 bucks. I bought three receivers and one transmitter for 50 bucks US from hong kong. They marked it as a gift and I didn't have to pay any tax or duty for it and it only took about a week to get.

This is the seller I bought from.... http://myworld.ebay.ca/etefore/
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    Heh, sorry but thats very far from strobism : P

They never let the flashes actually show, they make the off-camera flash seem natural.
    They don't always make it look natural. "Strobism" is just a means to an end. It's not the end itself. It's also not new or unique or started by David Hobby. He just happens to have a blog that caught on and exploded.
    Ouch.

I consider a "strobist" to be someone who reads and uses the David Hobby's blog. I don't lump all off camera flash photographers as strobists.

When I said does it look too strobist, I was talking about the obvious placement of the lights as is more often than not the tendency of people on that flickr group and of David himself at time. Just look at his CERN pics that are up on his blog and tell me you don't know where he placed his lights. I like a lot of what he does but I'm not interested in copying the guy's style like you see many of the "strobists" do.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Lol... "Strobist"...

There is no such thing as a strobist. There are photographers that use flashes. That is all. There are photographers that over-use flashes. That's for sure and I suspect David Hobby is one of them.

Rather than copying somebody else's style, Nick, why not create your own?

Ah, fair enough, yeah im not too decided on the definition, i always thought it meant use of off-camera flashes in a minimalistic approach with a natural touch, i've seen some of the cern photos, as well as some of the other photos where they gel the lights blue and stuff, but i always felt it looked natural as if a monitor was glowing nearby or something, and i always have a hard time spotting the actual strobes in any of the photos shown

Thanks for the seller, if you dont mind i'll give it a couple weeks and see what your overall impressions are from the triggers before ponying up and damn i've wanted a wireless remote for my 5d for a bit so i might grab that from them as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Lol... "Strobist"...

There is no such thing as a strobist. There are photographers that use flashes. That is all. There are photographers that over-use flashes. That's for sure and I suspect David Hobby is one of them.

just because you don't like the term doesn't mean it isn't real. i consider anyone who uses flash in a creative way a "strobist". whether they know who hobby is or not...and whether they know they're a strobist or not. i've read MAYBE two of his blog posts in the past but i still consider myself a strobist at times.

btw rhys, LEARNING from another photographer doesn't mean you're copying their style.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    just because you don't like the term doesn't mean it isn't real. i consider anyone who uses flash in a creative way a "strobist". whether they know who hobby is or not...and whether they know they're a strobist or not. i've read MAYBE two of his blog posts in the past but i still consider myself a strobist at times.

btw rhys, LEARNING from another photographer doesn't mean you're copying their style.

I learn a heap from copying a certain style at times. As soon as I got my triggers I had a go at copying Hobby's youtube vid just to see how it's done for myself. The guy is damn creative. I'm thinking of buying the DVD's. Have a look at that one Rhys..
    5D+grip | 1D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 MK1 | 430EX | Sunpak 383 | Lee Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Direct flash at small apertures and low ISO isn't a style.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Direct flash at small apertures and low ISO isn't a style.
    It may have been at one time. Nikon SLR with a Metz 45 CT-1 and maybe a roll of Fuji Pro160S or Kodak Plus-X 125. Metz being thyristor controlled, probably dialed into f/5.6-8 so most everything will be focused, and the head can't be swiveled up easily for a bounce.

I've been guilty of the same at one time, having used a Pentax Spotmatic, Vivitar 283, and Kodak Portra160 like that many years ago for weddings. Was always afraid to bounce the 283, as I couldn't take a test shot and chimp with a film camera to be sure it was going to work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_48 View Post
    It may have been at one time. Nikon SLR with a Metz 45 CT-1 and maybe a roll of Fuji Pro160S or Kodak Plus-X 125. Metz being thyristor controlled, probably dialed into f/5.6-8 so most everything will be focused, and the head can't be swiveled up easily for a bounce.

I've been guilty of the same at one time, having used a Pentax Spotmatic, Vivitar 283, and Kodak Portra160 like that many years ago for weddings. Was always afraid to bounce the 283, as I couldn't take a test shot and chimp with a film camera to be sure it was going to work right.
    A necessary evil at one time maybe, but definitely not a style.
    Ouch.