Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What kind of SONY/Minolta SLR/DSLR are you using?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • A100

6 17.14%
  • A200

7 20.00%
  • A300

6 17.14%
  • A350

8 22.86%
  • A700

7 20.00%
  • A900

3 8.57%
  • Ax00 - New Model

0 0%
  • Minolta 35mm-film SLR (please specify model in thread)

3 8.57%
  • Minolta DSLR (please specify model in thread)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks for the reply, Don!
    I see what you mean about the 18-250, but I wont mind carrying two lenses on this trip, and I really want to have the best lens for use after the trip also. I will already be bringing the 70-300, just to be stealthy around the wildlife. If the 17-50 is the better overall replacement lens, it sounds like I might be better off with that one. It is all very overwhelming to a beginner

Lightbulb The two lens option ...

Either one would be a fine decision, but if you are ready to lug two lenses, then the 17-50mmm f/2.8 is a good choice.

For me, the 17-50 f/2.8 is my "indoor" lens of choice. It is naturally wider and indoors, that simply cannot be overrated. Point being, you probably will not use you 70-300mm f/4-5.6 indoors. It's M.F.D. (minimum focus distance) is 5-feet and its base aperture is kind of "dark".

Outdoors, though, I opt for the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO, to meet up "tightly" with the 70-xxx mm telephoto. If I "run out of glass" with one lens, the other picks right on up where it left off, pretty seamlessly.

Please read the first "sticky" posting in the SONY DSLR forum, if you have not already. It also covers lens choices. Decisions, decisions

I tend to believe that we are pretty conventional around here. Good luck with that new glass!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-13-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sony A300:

• Why you are using a SONY versus another brand
      --I started with the D-60 and took it back after one day. Wife does a lot of shots where she can't look thru the view finder but with live view you can angle the LCD and take shots without laying on the ground.
    • Add what you are planning to add to your camera (in the near future)
      --Probably faster glass but definitely a wide angle lens.
    • What you would like to get from your participation in the forum
      --Advise on how to improve shooting based on predetermind circumstances.
    • Maybe provide the best reason you plan on continuing with your SONY.
      --It is flexible enough for quick point and shoots but powerful enough for experimentation.
    • Where you are located
      --Andrews AFB, MD