Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What kind of SONY/Minolta SLR/DSLR are you using?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • A100

6 17.14%
  • A200

7 20.00%
  • A300

6 17.14%
  • A350

8 22.86%
  • A700

7 20.00%
  • A900

3 8.57%
  • Ax00 - New Model

0 0%
  • Minolta 35mm-film SLR (please specify model in thread)

3 8.57%
  • Minolta DSLR (please specify model in thread)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Hi all the new folks i havent said hi to yet, and welcom, spending a lazy afternoon here catching up on my reading. Dwessel welcome, I work in a courthouse built in the 1850's if your ever in Ohio I can hook you up! When you say your thinking about getting a 500mm reflex for the long shots are you talking about the fixed 500mm f/8 ? it sounds like a cool lens, Don I think has one, but it depends what kind of long shots your wanting that lens produces really cool, or notorious 'doughnut hole' bokeah You may want to compare with the Tamron 200-500mm for your needs wants and desires of shooting?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Hi all the new folks i havent said hi to yet, and welcom, spending a lazy afternoon here catching up on my reading. Dwessel welcome, I work in a courthouse built in the 1850's if your ever in Ohio I can hook you up! When you say your thinking about getting a 500mm reflex for the long shots are you talking about the fixed 500mm f/8 ? it sounds like a cool lens, Don I think has one, but it depends what kind of long shots your wanting that lens produces really cool, or notorious 'doughnut hole' bokeah You may want to compare with the Tamron 200-500mm for your needs wants and desires of shooting?
    Seanhoxx:

Thanks for the offer. Yeah, I'm thinking about the fixed 500mm f/8. But might go for a 200-500mm for the versatility. I like to capture the details - usually at the top of roofs and high vaulted ceilings. Like this photo of the Riverside County Superior Courthouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Long Zoom vs Long PRIME

My 500mm f/8 Reflex lens is not a Minolta/SONY model ... it is Vivitar MF model and there is no way it is even close to the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD. The TAMRON is one of the understated lenses of its kind and on a SONY DSLR, it is exceptionally well-suited and sharp, as the camera body provides stabilization for this long lens, when handheld. Considering the costs of the two lens are within $50 of each other ... the TAMRON is the obvious choice, unless you need really exceptionally lightweight ... then you would compromise with the SONY/Minolta AF 500mm f/8 Reflex.

Being stuck at a constant 500mm though ... that's a little tough, as we're not talking about taking a couple steps back, "to get it all in", but more like a couple hundred. LOL The 200-500 can be adjusted and you get a very sharp, brighter image. How do you quantify that? I know ... shoot through it and find out for yourself.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-05-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You've got me convinced. Two Tamrons on both sides of my 70-200mm f/2.8 ... that's quite a range with lots of options in between.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Exclamation New models?

Looks like we're going to have to redo this poll ... the numbers have really taken a turn.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

A300 = -2 people (Elisha and Laydros)
    A700 = +1 (Elisha)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hi my name is Michelle and I live on the Gold Coast in sunny Queensland Australia.
    I am so glad I found this web sight, I have spent the last couple of weeks reading all the great information.
    I chose the Sony because a friend has an A350 and I liked his photos. but before I brought it the camera store told me I can take home up to three cameras for a week each before I decide. I tried a Canon and a Pentax, sorry I cant remember which models.
    I liked the feel of the Sony plus the flip screen is great for me because I have a bad back, so no bending down.
    I am a total novice and have lots to learn.
    My SonyA350 is my first DSLR and I am getting really frustrated.I have done two six week camera courses at the local tafe. I take lots of photos but still am not happy with the shots I take. I know its me and not the camera (I hope) I try to not put it in Auto but I end up with lots of bad photos. The colour is poor or the photo is blurry. I thought I would get great photos with the Carl Zeiss lenses but they are no better then the kit lenses
    One thing I don't understand is how do I know what aperture I can use for each lenses?
    As I said I am a total novice so excuse me if my questions are silly, thanks.
    Sony A700
    Minolta: 50mm
    Sony: DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Zeiss lenses
    Sony: 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Sony: 18-70 F3.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Tamron: SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro

Mish13 ...

let's move this to a different thread posting and we shall go from there. I will start it, in the SONY DSLR Forum as "Aperture is worth a thousand bulbs"

Hope we can help you get this figured out. Ryan ('Dr4gon') is a darn good resource for the A300/A350 internals. He may just join in for particulars on those. Generally, the lenses are very similar to one another.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by mish13 View Post
    Hi my name is Michelle and I live on the Gold Coast in sunny Queensland Australia.
    I am so glad I found this web sight, I have spent the last couple of weeks reading all the great information.
    I chose the Sony because a friend has an A350 and I liked his photos. but before I brought it the camera store told me I can take home up to three cameras for a week each before I decide. I tried a Canon and a Pentax, sorry I cant remember which models.
    I liked the feel of the Sony plus the flip screen is great for me because I have a bad back, so no bending down.
    My SonyA350 is my first DSLR and I am getting really frustrated.I have done two six week camera courses at the local tafe. I take lots of photos but still am not happy with the shots I take. I know its me and not the camera (I hope) I try to not put it in Auto but I end up with lots of bad photos. The colour is poor or the photo is blurry. I thought I would get great photos with the Carl Zeiss lenses but they are no better then the kit lenses
    One thing I don't understand is how do I know what aperture I can use for each lenses?
    great to see another aussie here, even if you do shoot with a sony. i'd be a bit worried about having done a 6 week course but not understanding aperture yet !! do yourself a HUGE favour and pick up "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. its superb.

btw: zeiss glass is very good and nothing like the crap kit lens, so your "faulty" photos are far more likely to be technique rather than equipment. post a few up and see where that leads you.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mish13 View Post
    Welcome, what lens are you using? The 16-80mm Carl Zeiss?

In addition to understanding exposure, a more basic level book I started out with were these two, volume 3 is on the way this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...2055116&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...2055135&sr=1-1

It's a no-nonsense kind of a book to help get you rolling. I have to admit one year ago, I was disappointed in my pictures and really second guessed my purchase. Just keep at it! The more you use it, the more you'll learn and come to enjoy it.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II