Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What kind of SONY/Minolta SLR/DSLR are you using?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • A100

6 17.14%
  • A200

7 20.00%
  • A300

6 17.14%
  • A350

8 22.86%
  • A700

7 20.00%
  • A900

3 8.57%
  • Ax00 - New Model

0 0%
  • Minolta 35mm-film SLR (please specify model in thread)

3 8.57%
  • Minolta DSLR (please specify model in thread)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    a350 and why sony. ive always owned sony stuff and have been happy. liked the steadyshot built in the camera. only regret when i was on here early asking what to buy i wish someone would have said just start with the a700.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

First minolta srt 101 from shaffer camera hollywood 1973
    then an x-gm
    then a x-700
    stuck with the x-700 for a long time..auto focus was not a big deal for me

then when digital opened up..started with a minolta d5
    weeks later sony came out with the a100 so i sold my 5d for what i paid,and got the a100.
    Then the a700
    and now the a900.

This will/should be my last...lol

I got a Minolta DiMAGE A1 when they first came out. It has the built in anti shake that I loved. When sensor went bad and it was being repaired under warranty I picked up a Konica Minolta 5D mainly for the built in anti shake. After having the 5D for a few years I decided to upgrade. The logical choice to me has a Sony Alpha so I bought an a350. After a few months I was feeling like the 350 wasn't that much of an upgrade over the 5D. Then I got an a700 and gave the a350 to my wife for her to use.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

I looked long and hard at all the options. First for most of my photos I only need one thing. My glasses, so I can see the focus because I do mostly manual focusing. I want accurate auto focus but they are perfect. Especially on the flowers, you can't count on the camera to know exactly what you are looking at.The Mandrill shot in the PotD was manual focus.

Lightbulb Eyepiece Corrector

Quote Originally Posted by dbatapbr View Post
    I looked long and hard at all the options. First for most of my photos I only need one thing. My glasses, so I can see the focus because I do mostly manual focusing. I want accurate auto focus but they are perfect. Especially on the flowers, you can't count on the camera to know exactly what you are looking at.The Mandrill shot in the PotD was manual focus.

You need to buy a eyepiece corrector (<- click here for link) with added diopter, if the camera cannot adjust adequately (+2 or -2) with it's own adjustment (see red arrow below).

Name:  viewfinder-a700.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  44.1 KB

These correctors snap right into the viewfinder, to alleviate the need for your glasses. The only other issue with that is that any OTHER user (than the owner) will not be able to make regular use of the camera in manual focus, unless they remove it (easy enough, but also easy to misplace (keep it safe). I know I had a second one around here, someplace ... arrgh). It truly becomes YOUR camera.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-05-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Millz ... read through this ...

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    a350 and why sony. ive always owned sony stuff and have been happy. liked the steadyshot built in the camera. only regret when i was on here early asking what to buy i wish someone would have said just start with the a700.
    'Millz' ... I seem to remember a "budget" ... but, I could be wrong. Lord knows, it would not be the first time. In my own defense, though, more often than not, I have tried to steer people away from the introductory cameras when I could. In fact, as my ol' buddy 'Rooz' will attest, I took a lot of heat when I stepped up and suggested that all SERIOUS photographers START with the the A700. No matter what camera system they were contemplating!

In fact ... here's "the beating" I took for just being frank, honest and to the point ... from a terrific bunch of ...

THE THREAD OF THREADS
    (<- click here for some more from)

Gotta love it!

Once again (it's in there) ... go get your α700 and be happy!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Who, what, where, when and why

* Why you are using a SONY versus another brand,
    At the point where I could not hold back from jumping from point & shoot to DSLR, the a100 was affordable and I liked the in-camera image stabilization feature.

* Add what you are planning to add to your camera (in the near future)
    Tripod & remote shutter release
    A nice wide angle - a 10-20mm would give me a total range of 10-200 across two lenses.

* What you would like to get from your participation in the forum

Informed opinions. I've lurked for a few days and I've found them, so it's time to give back, if I can. I've been taking photos for over 40 years using everything from a Minox to a Zone VI 4x5. But, oh man - ain't digital wonderful?!?!?

* Maybe provide the best reason you plan on continuing with your SONY.

Satisfied user for about 3 years.

* Where you are located

Beautiful Harveys Lake, PA - usually about 6" from something on the ground - gotta live that tilting live view!
    Mike Burnside
    Sony A350
    Quantaray 18-200/3.5-6.3
    Sony Macro 2.8/50

Mike - I'm not certain how well that Quantaray 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 is workin' for you, but if you like using that wide of a focal range and enjoy the convenience, you just might want to do a comparison series against a TAMRON or SONY 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, just to see if that new piece of glass could improve your overall results. From what I have found, it is a terrific improvement over the older 18-200s ... and many others will agree.

Many will say, the progressive thing to do is bust up the range, and tackle it in several pieces, but it is hard to argue against a lens you do not have to constantly change.

Again, a good side-by-side series will reveal all you need to know about that minor upgrade and improvement in image quality.

How about posting some of your efforts on the SONY POTD thread. People are turning in all sorts of wonderful things they've enjoyed imaging.

Again, welcome to the SONY DSLR forum ... it's a fun bunch and seems to be growing nicely.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

As far as the where wouldn't be nice if everyone would add it to their profile so it would show in the upper right hand corner of their posts.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

Welcome new people, post away and jump in! Good idea Tom, depending where in Indiana Don and I could sneek in on ya from both sides LOL.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/