Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What kind of SONY/Minolta SLR/DSLR are you using?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • A100

6 17.14%
  • A200

7 20.00%
  • A300

6 17.14%
  • A350

8 22.86%
  • A700

7 20.00%
  • A900

3 8.57%
  • Ax00 - New Model

0 0%
  • Minolta 35mm-film SLR (please specify model in thread)

3 8.57%
  • Minolta DSLR (please specify model in thread)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Talking SONY DSLR user ... reveal thyself!

The number of SONY users has been on the increase ... and that is a good thing in the way of support and sharing the fun you are having with your camera.

Attached to this is a poll for the next six months ... where you can add your particular camera(s) and then introduce yourself to the rest of the forum or the first time (or the umpteenth time).

Perhaps you could take a moment, in this thread, and explain:

• Why you are using a SONY versus another brand,
    • Add what you are planning to add to your camera (in the near future)
    • What you would like to get from your participation in the forum
    • Maybe provide the best reason you plan on continuing with your SONY.
    • Where you are located

Thank you for participating and have a say!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wonders if Don is conducting a research program? LOL O.K> so here we go:
    My name is Sean, Hoxx is short for my last name. Why Sony? well I did my research and was familier with the 'legendary' Minolta line, the phrase true Minolta color, etc. I also in the past had Sony stereo equipment, and about the time I was starting to look into going DSLR the adds for the A700 started popping up. As a bit of and aside I came across this site and spent weeks reading and lurking, then started asking questions, I took the plunge and went right to the A700 as my first ever D/SLR.
    As far as planning to add? well lots and lots of things, but likely a nice solid monopod with a grip ball pistol grip release head. And a external flash, the 42 is more reasonable, but the 58 would be all the flash I think i could ever want or need.
    What would I like to get? well someone was saying something about free beer but thats hasn't worked out yet. So I guess a solid base of photography education, 'so far so good" Maybe a sense of belonging? a web community / friendship thing?
    Reason to continue? I have to much time, money etc. invested in Sony to switch platforms, everything I have learned about photography other then point and snap has been with and on Sony gearAnd then of course the whole damn in body vs. in lens IS debate, well in body may not be as 'good' yet, it does make every lens IS and makes the glass 'cheaper' please lets not rehash the pros and cons of this again.
    Where am I? on a small planet far far away...no wait thats something else.
    I am in a small town in North central Ohio called Millersburg, it is in Holmes County, come visit us sometime!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

I really use my A300 99% of the time, but in the process of picking up lenses I got a Maxxum 5000, which actually takes great pictures. I also picked up a Minolta Hi-Matic AF, which takes horrible pictures, and a Hi-Matic 9, which is a spectacular camera, but seems to have a broken shutter. I may have it repaired sometime soon. Look at info on the 9 at this link.

I am Jason Hamilton, and I'm currently finishing up school at North Carolina State, and a full-time co-op at IBM, where I am a sys admin for the DataPower development team in Raleigh. I'm majoring in agricultural business management and minoring in computer science.

I live in Raleigh with my beautiful wife and our daughter, who was born 2008/12/29.

I have played guitar most of my life, but I have always been interested in visual arts as well. While taking some drawing and painting classes in high school, I was always more interested in taking photography, but at the time didn't have the money to get into it. So when we had the new baby coming, I finally talked my wife into it. I debated mostly between a Canon XSi and Sony A300, both had their strong points, and ended up getting the A300 because it was the first to really go on sale. In the end I'm really glad I ended up with the Sony instead of the XS/XSi or the D40/D60 because my hands are too big for the others. As I have recently been discussing, I am willing to look at the other brands for a step up camera, but I think for a number of reasons, Sony has the best entry level cameras. As I use the above mentioned film camera, I remember how important the in-body image stabilization is.

Next purchase might be moving to a semi-pro camera, but considering my wife's reaction will probably be either a f/2.8 wide prime, or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I need something fast besides my 50mm.

One of my favorite purchases so far, which was a very recent one, was a 3rd party battery grip. As I mentioned above I have big hands, and the camera feels much more natural and solid with the grip.
    Last edited by laydros; 02-25-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Yes, I, too, am an admitted SONY DSLR user.

It all started ...

... and I bought the A700, with which I have been delighted.

Thanks for listening. I did not want to run on too long.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi, I am new to the forum. My name is David Briley. I had a KM D7 that recently died. I was tetering on whether to move to another system or remain where I am. There is even a camera store that I visit that handed me a D700 with a fine prime lens and let me walk outside (unguarded) to take some photos with. It is a really nice camera, it was hard not to get in the car. I was still tetering because there were things that I was not pleased with about the sonys. Then I read the threads about the updates to the A700, went to the Sony Style store shot it and bought it.

When the wallet gets resusitated, next will be better lenses.

I am looking for honest critiques and opinions concerning photography and my photos. I feel it is necessary for growth.

I am hoping that later they will work more on the A900 or its successor to move up.

I am in a small area in Central Florida, I am a range control officer at an air force bombing range. We have 106,000 acres of natural acerage here. I also have a deal with our biological scientist. He knows the plants, I have the camera, he gets a copy for work, I keep the rights. So expect alot of plant photos later.

the D700 is badass. too bad it costs double of the A700.

i'm a Sony hater but i loved Minolta so since the DSLRs are not 100% Sony technology, i decided to get the a200 initially then the a300.

would love to get more lenses especially the 50mm F1.4 and 135mm STF. not very decided on a wide angle option yet.
    Last edited by Elisha; 02-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Any other SONY DSLR camera owners out there? Come on guys ... consider this a round up and let's see what we can do as a group, eh?

flickr & Sdi

i think you should start a new poll.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I think we should get a concensus on whether we should take another poll. I know the wide angles are harder to decide. There are times when it would come in handy, but how wide do I want to go, I am pretty sure I don't want to get into fisheye. I do want the 50mm and when taking bird or animal photos, is there ever really enough mm's? I always end up saying, if I only had ___mm .

One of the issues I have found is the atmospheric degradation, when using hugely long telephotos over astounding distances. The air actually becomes a consideration, much like it is with a long distance sniper shot. It distorts the image through heat, humidity and wind.

A good comparison is when looking at the shuttle shots, when they launch. The long distance telephoto looks great when filtered, but in raw it is quite different.

Yeah, if I only had that blanking' ____ mm lens.

flickr & Sdi