Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    LOL that front cap really sticks out! Very tree like setup haha
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

You got SNOW??? I hope it don't head down this way. Nice setup. LOL You are always thinking.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thumbs down

Yeah ... they are talking three to four inches of the white stuff, by tomorrow afternoon. Goodbye green grass, for a while.

EDIT: Well, it was worse south of Chicago, than we got up here. Most of it has dissipated, but it still has the wet sloppy result to it. Snow clumps are falling out of the trees.

Name:  snow sticking.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  149.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Reorienting my vision ...

Okay ... because I am one of those guys that just cannot leave well-enough ... well "enough" ... I went out, spent the money and bought a SONY FDA-A1AM Angle Finder for my DSLR.

One thing about these devices ... you have to remove your viewfinder diopter (if you have one) and the normal viewfinder eye pad to fit it on. You attach it by sliding it on the viewfinder starting from the top, just like the eye pad. They do give you a case to hold the rig in, so you just might drop the pad and diopter correction in there, for safe-keeping.

Name:  Tilt-pan-robot-with-thru-lens.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  245.7 KB

By mechanically moving and orienting the "security camera" a bit further back, I can still use it to look around, at the remote sight, but now I can tilt it and look right down thru the viewfinder and lens, as I proposed earlier. As another side benefit of this reorientation, by not having it directly over the DSLR, I have regained the use of the pop-up flash, too.

Here's the security camera without its 'protective bubble' on. The little camera is looking forward toward the "subject":

Name:  sec-cam-w-o-bubble-fwd.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  285.0 KB

On the security monitor, with the sighting camera aimed forward , it looks like this:

Name:  sightcam-monitor-normal.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  382.8 KB

The security camera with the little camera is aimed downward . You can easily see the little lens' orientation that now provides TTL capability:

Name:  sec-cam-w-o-bubble.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  234.3 KB

On the security monitor, with the sighting camera tilted downward, it looks like this, literally looking right thru the lens ...

Name:  sightcam-monitor.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  417.8 KB

Out of the A700, remote image taken, and here is its former wrapper ...
    Name:  a700-box.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  376.0 KB

Guys ... c'mon, how cool is this? I cannot even imagine how I could make REMOTE CONTROL any better, for the cost.
    1. I can actually do a complete scan of the area, without moving the robot head at all and wasting its battery power.
    2. Then, roughly direct the tripod robot to bring the DSLR camera to the subject area I am interested in.
    3. Tilt the scanning camera lens down and actually look through my lens, to use the tripod robot to critically aim and position the DSLR for the shot ... with a Katz-Eye manual split focus graticule, also.

THIS is the next best thing to being there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

Guys ... c'mon, how cool is this? I cannot even imagine how I could make REMOTE CONTROL any better, for the cost.

THIS is the next best thing to being there.
    Live view

But lol that's pretty neat. Let's see some more pictures! How much have you spent on this entire project?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Costs ...

Well, developmental costs are pretty minimal, that darn "angle finder" is also useful for MACRO work, on its own, so the pain is relative. I have found times where it would have been handy in the past. I actually almost bought one when I purchased the SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 about a year ago. It would have saved me a trip if I had.

Angle Finder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $199
    Tripod Tilt/Pan Robot . . . . . . . . $259
    Stroboframe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $39
    Tripod Tilt head . . . . . . . . . . . . .$39
    Security Tilt/Pan Ball Camera . . . $159
    200' security video cable . . . . . . .$75
    150' Ethernet Cable . . . . . . . . . . $16
    USB Extender . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$100

Total ----> $886

You still need to consider that I already had the Security Tilt/Pan Ball Camera and the Stroboframe. I basically added the cost to the total because a person would need to have these items, also.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2009 at 06:48 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, developmental costs are pretty minimal, that darn "angle finder" is also useful for MACRO work, on its own, so the pain is relative. I have found times where it would have been handy in the past. I actually almost bought one when I purchased the SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 about a year ago. It would have saved me a trip if I had.

Angle Finder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $199
    Tripod Tilt/Pan Robot . . . . . . . . $259
    Stroboframe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $39
    Tripod Tilt head . . . . . . . . . . . . .$39
    Security Tilt/Pan Ball Camera . . . $159
    200' security video cable . . . . . . .$75
    150' Ethernet Cable . . . . . . . . . . $16
    USB Extender . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$100

Total ----> $886

You still need to consider that I already had the Security Tilt/Pan Ball Camera and the Stroboframe. I basically added the cost to the total because a person would need to have these items, also.
    And there's no other piece of glass you want? lol...

But this is certainly unique. Wow that angle finder is ridiculously over priced for it's application. $200 is seriously quite steep. That's why I'm glad I have an articulating screen!
    flickr

Red face What lens can do this?

The entire reason I invested the time into this was because there was no "piece of glass" that can do what this does. I, literally, do not have to be next to my camera and can still get the same type of shot with these various "creatures."

The birds around here actually signal the others that someone is approaching the feeding area. They are "look-outs", so to speak. The biirds and squirrels all scatter and are long gone when I show up with the camera, so this changes that element in the equation. I go in the house ... the camera is now set to capture "remotely" and I can just sit back, sipping on a cold one, and get the shot, too. It's cool!

I agree that the "angle finder" is obscenely priced. It'd be fair at about 1/2 the cost, but what the heck ... I waited as long as I could. It really was the last element to make it ALL work. It offers a practical method to look about and then look TTL.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2009 at 06:01 PM.

flickr & Sdi

WOW! So one can only wonder how far can this go? Donschapus of Borg, I ahve come for your cameras, resistence is futile!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Lightbulb Even more ideas from the front ... how about "Version II"

Half the fun of using technology is finding new ways to employ it or get more out of it. The α700 offers more flexibility than I have seen other than the α900 ... and who made that? LOL

I am currently still exploring the "wireless" aspect of all this. No kidding ... who needs 150-feet of cable? For $285 more, you can get a Gefen Wireless USB 4-port hub (← click on link)... and free yourself from draping cable between here and where ever. It is called, "WUSB"

Name:  ext-wusb-front.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  18.5 KB

Admittedly, because you are broadcasting, you do get limited to line-of-sight and no more than 100-feet between the Sender and Receiver ... but still, "Hey look, Ma ... no wire!" Just drag the tripod and tilt/pan robot out to the site ... fire them up and remote control!

The two units (sender & receiver) require 5vdc to operate,

Name:  ext-wusb-back.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  16.8 KB

so there will be at least a need for a battery at the 'remote' location, but you could probably piggy back that off the tripod robot, if you were clever, or just add a 5vc battery (portable) source of its own. I figure if you are using a power cord ... you are kind of defeating the "portability" aspect of the entire solution. I am assuming you have AC power available at the PC (Sender's) location, but if you are using a LAPTOP (in portable mode) you will need another 5 vdc battery source there, also.

Add a simple USB Web cam as your live view siting cam ... and it is all totally independent and going straight back to the PC. You do not need the security system to monitor it.

So ... there you have it ... WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL. People can't even figure out where you or your camera are .. because there are no wires to trace.

Name:  wireless USB Remote control system description edit.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  112.5 KB
    I am liking it!

Let's do some math, shall we?

Angle Finder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $199 (Nope, no need)
    Tripod Tilt/Pan Robot . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $259 (Still need)
    Stroboframe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$39 (Nope, no need ... webcam piggy backs to camera, now)
    Tripod Tilt head . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $39 (Still need)
    Security Tilt/Pan Ball Camera . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $159 (Nope → Replaced by USB Web cam)
    200' security video cable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $75 (Nope)
    150' Ethernet Cable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $16 (Nope)
    USB Extender . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$100 (Nope)
    WUSB Extender . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $285 (Yes, New Part)
    EDIT: -> (Do not use) Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF Web camera - pan / tilt . .
    EDIT: Suggest using Creative Labs Live! Notebook USB Webcam ... $30 (Yes, new part -> instead of Pan/Tilt Web Cam and forget using "independent Pan/Tilt camera" (See explanation in next post ...)

EDIT: New Total → $613 (for wireless independence) ... versus $886 (for my ad hoc wired solution). Obviously, my costs were in proving I could make it work for me. This would be a more refined edition ... call it, "Version II" ... for another $315 out of my pocket, I can "cut the apron strings."

Man, what saving 268-bucks can get you folks, though, now-a-days, eh? My experience, your benefit. You can skip the wire, angle finder ... and the independent tilt/pan!

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Hmn! Maybe I'll keep my old #055. Keep it comin' Don.
    Sitting on those side-lines isn't so bad, some days. Nothing ventured ... you know the rest. I have to admit that "stringing wires" is something I would look forward to ignoring. Just placing and positioning the tripod ... turning it all on ... and then ...walking away, back to the PC to do the rest. I mean, how cool is that?

But, if REAL RANGE is what you are after ... there is a tethered fiber-optic solution (← click on link) that can roll it out to 1650-feet! No kidding ... you could operate the system from a half-kilometer away! Hey, Mates ... Australia should see this one coming!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-11-2009 at 01:51 AM.

flickr & Sdi